Thread: corner trim on a residental home

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default corner trim on a residental home

I am still in the learning process here and would like to know about how to put on trim pieces on the exterior of the house. I have siding and would like to have wood trim pieces at the corners. Should I just add a extra wall and name it accordingly as well as use a hatch pattern to make it look correctly in the the 3d view?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: corner trim on a residental home

I use a component(generic model family), I call mine corner trim, basically its just a simple L shaped extrusion with Height, widht and thickness parameters and you place it in you plan and stretch as needed(set the height to instance). This one is wall based, but I would recommend you make a non wall based version as the wall based stuff can be a pain to flip and mirror.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

I recently modelled a small building with tons of trim all over the place. I used wall sweeps and roof fascias for most of it, and I had profiles set up for most of the common sizes (1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 1x10, etc.). I found that I could have 2 vertical wall sweeps at the corner to create an L-shaped corner trim piece, and you can join geometry to make it appear as a single piece. I was also able to flip and mirror it just fine.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

thanks for the insight.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by harkeychad View Post
    I am still in the learning process here and would like to know about how to put on trim pieces on the exterior of the house. I have siding and would like to have wood trim pieces at the corners. Should I just add a extra wall and name it accordingly as well as use a hatch pattern to make it look correctly in the the 3d view?

Thanks
    If it's not a huge project, you could simply make a few "in-place masses" (under massing and site tab) to suffice.

Dan

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    I recently modelled a small building with tons of trim all over the place. I used wall sweeps and roof fascias for most of it, and I had profiles set up for most of the common sizes (1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 1x10, etc.). I found that I could have 2 vertical wall sweeps at the corner to create an L-shaped corner trim piece, and you can join geometry to make it appear as a single piece. I was also able to flip and mirror it just fine.
    One thing to note with using wall sweeps at corners is that the walls need to be mitre joined and not butt joined (default). When the wall is butt joined it means the one wall wraps at the end and you cannot place a sweep on that wrapped portion. If you use the edit join tool in the modify tab you can click the corner and change it to mitre so that the corner joins at a 45 degree angle. This will allow you to place the vertical sweep right at the corner on both wall faces.