See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Happy New BIM Year!

Login to Give a bone

To all the fellow BIMers out there - may you have a happy and prosperous 2004!

Let's BIM,

Djordje

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Happy New BIM Year!

Happy New Year to you too, Djordje.

Gotta say tho - I hate jargon. Graphisoft's term "virtual building" makes a lot more sense than "building information modelling". It's almost like BIM was a term created because it sounds cool but to the uninitiated sounds confusing. I hate marketing schlock!

I'm looking forward to making a few people think twice this year. Time for 3D CAD to get more consideration in the architectural profession.

I could stop if I wanted to Melarch's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I want to wish all the Reviteers a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Wes, I think the term BIM evolved from Autodesk's development of ADT as a Building Modeler and Revit's parametric modeling and viewing information database. Thus Autodesk Revit morphed into BIM.

This seems perfectly natural, versus Graphsoft's virtual modeler acronym, as Autodesk's future development for Revit's parametric modeler is include the entire building process from site planning through building life cycle management. Revit's database will ultimately have features to allow the real estate, architects and professional design consultants and the construction community to benefit and manage both graphical and anotative information for the project site and buildings.

When Revit is developed (which will require some form of API) and other software developers can integrate and coordinate their programming data, then Revit will realize it's fullness as a program. All of Building Community involved in developing, designing, constructing and management building projects will share in and benefit from the Building Information Model, BIM!

I could stop if I wanted to rhys's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'll settle for a working licensing model
    Didn't need anything more than a pencil sharpener to revert to and licence my old paper Building Information Modeler (PaperBIM) and I had to this morning

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Melarch
    Wes, I think the term BIM evolved from Autodesk's development of ADT as a Building Modeler and Revit's parametric modeling and viewing information database. Thus Autodesk Revit morphed into BIM.
    The explanation is much simpler. The marketing muscle of the BigA pushed the acronym forward. The Virtual Building concept presented by Graphisoft for decades is exactly the same thing (find out about ArchiFM for example) - but, it is not who really invented it, it is who is the loudest. Happened more than once in history

CAD [sic!] is full of three letter words ...

I could stop if I wanted to Dean Camlin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I thought BIM was first coined by Jerry Laserin.