Thread: Material/Plant Editor is toooooooo slowwwww!!!!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Material/Plant Editor is toooooooo slowwwww!!!!!

I hope this message doen't get perceived as a vicious rant. I am posting this to just share my frustrations and hope to find out from anybody weather they feel like I do....to figure out a cause...and to possibly find out that the FACTORY knows about this problem and they are attempting in fixing this....

When I go to the Accurender's material and Plant editor the things that happen are not normal. I am spending too much time waiting for a reaction from Revit while selecting, editing, modifying properties, etc.

For sure I am experiencing this through the network, for I have my files there. I don't know if that is a cause for the problem (not a slow network, but how the Editor reacts through the network)
    Maybe it isn't related to the network at all (I will do a test later by having only the library from the local directory)
    It isn't a memory problem, for I have 1 GB of memory and when I check the physical memory of the computer while having these problems I have used less than half of my Gig.
    The network is a regular 100 Mbps, where only 2 workstations and a server part of. All other network operations have no problems whatsoever...

I have been trying to work on a miserable (single) rendering, doing just minor editor changes to achieve a mediocre rendering (the last hour was on the plant editor and I went in there 4-5 times) I have to wait sometimes 3-5 minutes for just clicking on the plant/material, then another 3-5 minutes to press OK, etc....

Anyone else has these problems???? (I know some of you do, at least in the crashing department, but I haven't crashed in v.8 because of the editor...something fixed in v.8?)

Well, peace to all,

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Material/Plant Editor is toooooooo slowwwww!!!!!

Luigi,

How large is the file you are working on? Do you have a large number of these plants that require updating when you make changes?
    I have found that in Revit, and any other program for that matter, when you have a large number of items that impose a heavy load on the graphics card or processor it is sometimes better to do your 'tweaking' outside the main file and just load one copy of the item in the project file, make changes and see how they look. You can then copy/paste or load the component into the final rendering file.
    It might still be slow but at least you only have to wait once.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Realized I didn't address the issue at all Luigi. I need to read posts more carefully.
    Let us know what happens after you do the test with the files on the local drive. Anytime you do anything with software having to retrieve information over a network it tends to slow.

Login to Give a bone

It is the network, I experience the same thing. Try using all the default locations and all will be well, as soon as you add multiple libraries and put them on a server(especially an older, slower, very full, server) you will have very slow performance, the plant selector is almost as slow as saving to central on a 90mb file with 4 users).

I think it has to do with accurender actually rendering the little image of the tree instead of saving a thumbnail of it. so everytime you select a diff. tree it renders its.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK