Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: URGENT: How to import Excel Worksheet

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default URGENT: How to import Excel Worksheet

URGENT, URGENT, URGENT, URGE......

Hello there,

I tried to find some answer in the Help file and this Forum on how to import an Excel Worksheet into Revit drawing, but I haven't found anything!

For now, I simply re-typed all engineer's data (emailed to me in form of the Excel file), but this is plain ridiculous! Not even to mention the waste of time in this day and time of the evolution of the communications technology, but most importantly, the possibility of making a simple typing error in such a crucial data...

This becomes an urgent matter now, since I am expecting much more of such data to arrive in the matter of hours to me! I don't even want to think, that I will have to re-write everything manually again...

I simply refuse to believe, that REVIT wouldn't have this ability of importing straight from the Microsoft Excel (or at least inserting the worksheet as an embedded object), so could anybody, please, point me in the right direction!

Thanking you in advance,

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: URGENT: How to import Excel Worksheet

I simply refuse to believe, that REVIT wouldn't have this ability of importing straight from the Microsoft Excel
    API...

Given your timeframe... Format and do a screen capture on the data. Then import the JPEG.

Guy

Login to Give a bone

In Excel, select the spreadsheet data and copy to the clipboard.

In Revit, open a drafting view, start text with the appropriate font / size, then "Paste from Clipboard".

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by beegee
    In Excel, select the spreadsheet data and copy to the clipboard.

In Revit, open a drafting view, start text with the appropriate font / size, then "Paste from Clipboard".
    Thanks GuyR and BeeGee,

As usual it was quick!

Yes, I tried to copy the data from Excel and paste it as a text into REVIT (my first thought as I couldn't insert or import an Excel Worksheet...)

But it pastes all un-formatted! All the columns are made into one - without even the breaks! With text it is hard, but not impossible, but with the numbers (and plenty of them) - it's just plain nightmare... Then, when I finally ploughed through it using tabs, as soon as I exited text editing mode, all my text lost its formatting again! When I entered text edit mode - it was all back to good, but as soon as I exited the text edit mode again - it came back to bad again... I am lost…

As to your option Guy,
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyR
    Format and do a screen capture on the data. Then import the JPEG.
    while it sounds a little… primitive (no offence to you – I understand that you just try to help!), at least for this level of evolution of various available software, sadly it might prove the best solution after all!

Only it is a huge embarrassment for REVIT, that we have to resource to such methods… It is simply unbelievable! If somebody asked me this question yesterday (if REVIT was capable of importing an Excel worksheet) I would be offended! I would say: “Of course! What do you think? After all this is a database driven, Microsoft Windows based program, that even uses Excel-like display formatting of its own data!”

Well, well, well…

Thanks anyway,

Login to Give a bone

You could always import it into Autocad as AutoCAD entities then bring it into a legend view in Revit. Then place it on a sheet. You will have to play around with the scale.

Joe

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jetisart
    ...Only it is a huge embarrassment for REVIT, that we have to resort to such methods… It is simply unbelievable!...
    Not so unbelievable to me...consider that AutoCAD only in the last two releases has begun to truly support importing such information, prior to that OLE was a bad time at best. Why do you suppose Spanner and the other similar routines got so popular?

All in good time...sorry it doesn't happen all at once.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Only it is a huge embarrassment for REVIT, that we have to resource to such methods… It is simply unbelievable!
    Yeah, it'd be much better if we still had layers and 2D design....

One thing you can be sure of from the Revit Team. When it's implemented it'll be simple and well designed. You just have to be patient and add it to the wish list.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    ...AutoCAD only in the last two releases has begun to truly support importing such information...
    I was using embeded Microsoft Excel worksheets in AutoCAD R14... They were working absolutely fine for me then (and ever since in ACAD!)

Sorry, but I don't agree with the view, that it is all right for a program costing so much to have such basic limitations! I understand, that not everything can be done at once, but an integration with the basic tools of today's office is a must! How we are suppose to co-operate with various consultants without this basic funcionality?! It is plainly embarrassing for me to admitt, that I can't use (quickly) just normal Excel worksheet...

So, if this program would do everything, that so many users (of this Forum too) are complaining about, it should cost what, two, three, ten times as much? Rubbish!!!!

This program is one of the most expensive software - yet it's performance is faaaaaaar from good.
    Drawing pretty pictures of the buildings is not everything, you know...
    Look at all those threads and posts (mine including), listing the faults of REVIT!

Ahrrrrrr! It infuriates me, when people try to find excuses for under-performance...

Login to Give a bone

AutoCAD for years has been able to import an excel spreadsheet as basic entities (not OLE). Just paste special. AutoCAD entities. This I think was available in Acad 14. Revit tries to do this but its text handling abilities are not up to the task. You do not get a grid, nor do the text entities maintain their column and row relationships.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jetisart
    Ahrrrrrr! It infuriates me, when people try to find excuses for under-performance...
    Sorry to infuriate you....
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-05-31 at 06:16 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast