See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setup a Hardware Schedule using a Revit Key Schedule

Login to Give a bone

Default Setup a Hardware Schedule using a Revit Key Schedule

The way you do this is you create *two* schedules, one's the Door Schedule (a normal Door Schedule), and the other's the Hardware Schedule (a Door Schedule set to be a 'Key Schedule').

First, generate the Key Schedule by picking View -> New -> Schedule, Pick 'Doors' as the Category, name it 'Door Hardware', and then pick 'Schedule Keys' instead of the default 'Schedule Building Components', change the name of the Key from 'Door Key' to 'Hardware Code' (that slot below the radio button) & hit OK.

Now you'll have a Schedule with 'Key Name' as the only field scheduled. Add new parameters for each bit of hardware you want to track, like 'Comments' 'Closer' 'Latchset' and such, setting them as yes/no or text parameters so you can fill them out as desired. Or better yet, use some presetup Shared Parameters. Set how you want the Schedule to sort itself & it's appearance and such, and hit OK.

You'll now have a blank Hardware Schedule. On the Options Bar next to 'Rows:' you'll see a button that says 'New'. Press this to add new rows to your Schedule, one for each Hardware Group. Fill these out, and edit the key names(s) to be something like 'A', 'B', 'C'; for these are your Hardware Groups.

OK, so, finally, go back to (or make) a normal Door Schedule, and there will be fields available to you (all of the ones from the Hardware Schedule) as well as a new one 'Hardware Code'. Now add these Fields to your Schedule and organize them the way you want & hit OK.

Now, if you pick on 'Hardware Code' on your Door Schedule, you're presented with a little drop-down list of your Hardware Groups you defined a little while ago. Set it to A, and all the other Parameters ('Closer' 'latchset' et. all) automatically set themsevels to match Group A's settings from the Hardware Schedule. Same for B, C, whatever. Also, now, if you go back and edit the Hardware Schedule, and say, change Group A to no longer have a Closer, it will change everywhere. This is also a huge help for Head/Sill/Jamb details, for not to twist your head, but you can have multiple Key Schedules within a single normal Schedule...

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-06-02 at 02:12 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Setup a Hardware Schedule using a Revit Key Schedule

Jeffery,

A while back I set up a hardware schedule like you describe.

I used yes/no settings in the fields for hardware item. This results in the schedule on the sheet having the word "yes" in the various columns.

After reading Steve Stafford's blog, I would like to change yes/no fields to text fields so I can get text symbol dots.

I can't figure out how to change the schedule.

When I go to Schedule Properties and highlite the field and click edit, the Type is greyed out.

When I go to Settings/Project Parameters and highlite the hardware item and click Modify, the parameter type is also greyed out.

I tried to create a new schedule within the project but couldn't because the parameters were already in use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I am still wondering about the problem described in my previous post.

Anyone?

Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mikemck
    I am still wondering about the problem described in my previous post.

Anyone?

Mike
    Oh, hey, sorry. didn't see your question there. Once you've created a parameter, you can't change it's type. You can only change it's name, and whether it's a Instance or Type parameter. You'll have to make a new parameter instead that is of the text type, copy across the data, and then delete the old one. Sorry. If I were you I'd just let go of having to have it be a symbol for now, and wait and see if Revit 9 gives you the ability to format those yes/no parameters to use a symbol or something. Obsessing over graphics, esp. CD drafting standards, can quickly become really counter-productive, so unless it's required by the client I wouldn't change what you've got that's working now.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    ...Obsessing over graphics, esp. CD drafting standards, can quickly become really counter-productive, so unless it's required by the client I wouldn't change what you've got that's working now.
    There should be a paragraph written into any agreement with a client when the drafter/designer is using Revit:

The client shall not obsess over the fine style points of how everything in the CDs is represented (e.g., 'schedule header text must be large and left justified...') and shall concentrate on the correctness of the information being presented.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by truevis
    There should be a paragraph written into any agreement with a client when the drafter/designer is using Revit:

The client shall not obsess over the fine style points of how everything in the CDs is represented (e.g., 'schedule header text must be large and left justified...') and shall concentrate on the correctness of the information being presented.
    in my experience it's not the client who's the problem, it's the totally obsessive-compulsive Architects who feel that the look of a north arrow and the heading on a schedule column define them as a professional and have major problems if everything isn't just the way they want it... actual content be dammed...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    in my experience it's not the client who's the problem, it's the totally obsessive-compulsive Architects who feel that the look of a north arrow and the heading on a schedule column define them as a professional and have major problems if everything isn't just the way they want it... actual content be dammed...
    Precisely!

(My clients are mostly architects. Only really know one of them like that, though.)
    Last edited by truevis; 2006-10-25 at 06:34 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Jeffrey,

I've used the key schedule method you described effectively for H/J/S details. I created entries for a combination of host (wall) and door frame types. For instance I have a row for CMU with HM frame and its associated H/J/S assignment, another for CMU with ALUM frame and it's H/J/S assignment etc. Then I made some plan views and used filters to ONLY display a specific wall type (ex: interior gyp walls, or exterior CFMF with brick). By doing this, you can concentrate on selecting the doors within the visible host, click on properties and assign the right key to them, thus filling out the H/J/S correctly for the frame/wall combination. The problem is that all doors show up and you cannot filter out door based on their host. We need to be able to control door visibility based on either host visibility or some other way through filtering for specific host types.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Hello,

I don't mean to dig up an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone else has encounterd this issue...

We have been creating our hardware schedule with schedule keys, just like the method outlined above. Here's the rub...

Once you've created a good schedule, how do you copy that information from project to project? More over, how do you duplicate it within your own project? Perhaps for some reason, you need two schedules?

We use this technique often, for everything that simple text, such as finish schedules, work notes, etc. I need a way to flexibly move the information from Revit project to Revit project.

Many thanks.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It's a simple copy and paste from one project to another.
    The trick is you need to do it from a sheet view.

If the schedule is not already placed on a sheet, you will need to place it in a sheet view. Open that sheet view and select the schedule. Ctrl-C to copy to the clipboard and then switch to your other project. Create or open a sheet view and then paste the schedule into it.

Because a schedule is just another type of view, you can create copies by duplicating the view.
    From the project browser right click on the schedule and Duplicate. From there you can use the sorting, grouping and filtering tools to show whatever information you want in each of the schedules. I often use this on larger projects when a door schedule has too many doors to fit easily on one sheet.
    Last edited by Dimitri Harvalias; 2007-05-01 at 10:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast