Thread: Shared Parameters

I could stop if I wanted to neb1998's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Shared Parameters

Is there a way to delete shared parameters from on a global project level? I have a problem with old projects where i have created shared parameters for family's and schedules that are different than my latest shared parameters used in families. These fields all show up in the available fields that you can select to use for schedules. Sometimes i am ending up with 2 fields that are identical, i am not sure how that is possible but if i was able to delete those fields i would expect the schedules would not schedule the data for specific families and i would be able to update the families to the latest schedules instead of having to change my schedules to meet the old families.

Any other fix to this would be helpful also, i have a lot of shared parameters now on my projects and management of them all has become a bit of a pain.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shared Parameters

Quote Originally Posted by neb1998
    Is there a way to delete shared parameters from on a global project level?
    File > Project Parameters Just make sure you get the "right" one

Login to Give a bone

Wish it was that easy... i am able to delete some of them, but for some reason i have duplicate versions of the same shared parameter showing up.

When i delete one the other remains in the available fields.......I imagine that old family blocks are causing this...But when i deleted them the problem still remains.

Not sure what to do about this

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

After you delete the offending blocks try purging the file. Then delete the shared parameters. That should/might do it.

Login to Give a bone

In your situation are you adding these shared parameters to families or adding them to projects or both?

As you have discovered using shared parameters from two different source shared parameter files can be a problem. It's really important that a firm keeps only one of these files around and keeps an eye on it.

If you can't get rid of the parameters (not listed in Project Parameters) then something (family) in your project is defining them and hanging on to them. A recent tip from an Autodesk developer (Tamas) said that to get a family to reload completely you need to change something (geometry) in the family, apply it and restore it. Then reload the family in the project.

Typically only put shared parameters in a family when that parameter is constraining actual geometry as well as reporting data in a schedule.

A good example is a door's undercut. If your door family actually shows the undercut by raising the bottom edge of the door as well as reporting this value in a schedule then you need to use a shared parameter in the door family so you can also show it in a your project's door schedule.

Otherwise don't add parameters like Head Detail or Jamb Detail to a door family since the project can add it to all doors by adding it to the Project Parameters, meaning you don't have to manage that in all your families either.

Doing so will help avoid this headache. Sorry you're experiencing it now.

Login to Give a bone

I will try that, the problem has been with me trying to make revit more MEP friendly...Lately i have added connection sizes for hot,cold, sanitary and vent to the different plumbing fixture families i use so that each time i use them the sizes are automatically updated on the schedule (big time saver over default plumbing fixture schedules) - Somehow the tags i created in the shared parameter file have the same name, i am wondering now like you said if at one point i had another shared parameter file.

That could be the problem, i did switch files once but i cant remember on the current project if that was the case or not.

The main problem is i have a template file that has this problem and i am not sure of the best way to clear it without having the same problem on all new projects i use it as the template for...I will try what you mentioned about changing the geometry in the families and reloading them, that may be the easiest.

Changing each families shared parameters and then reloading them can take a long time.

And to answer your first question: I first create the parameters in my project file, then create a new family or edit an existing one and add the parameters to the new or existing family. I do not load or change the file itself in this process.

Login to Give a bone

From your explanation I believe you have used two shared parameter files when you created your families. These families are adding the parameters to your project when you load them.

Lets say you add 2 mech devices that uses Sanitary Connection as a family parameter. Each uses a different shared parameter file to create them. When you load them you end up with two identical parameters but as far as Revit is concerned they couldn't be more different. What worse is that you'll have to add both fields to a schedule to get them to report the data.

This may be how you can figure out which ones are "wrong". Create a schedule with both fields in them. Take a look at the group that report data in the first column. If these families are using the correct shared parameter file so far so good.

If you examine the other columns families you'll need to replace the share parameters with the shared parameter you really want them to use. Rename the existing parameter by adding an x or something so you don't lose the data. Add the correct shared parameter and then remove the wrong one after you've transferred the data to each family type.

Does this make sense to you? If not...let me know!

All AUGI, all the time ejburrell67787's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just found this thread and it answered a question about shared parameters for me... Augi is such a brilliant resource!!
    Elrond Burrell, Architect

[Connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter]

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
    - Chinese Proverb