Thread: Reduce the File size...

Login to Give a bone

Red face Reduce the File size...

Hi All,

Sorry I have not been around. I have been quite busy. I just wanted to float you a little nugget that I have not seen on the site:
    If you set your project view to a plan view, maximize the view, go to the settings pull down menu and click "close hidden windows" then save the file, your file size will be 2 to 4 times smaller than if you save your file with many views opened. I have seen files go from 64 meg to 12 meg using this one trick.

Have a great weekend

Cyril Verley, RA
    CDV SYSTEMS, Inc.
    175 Washington Street, Suite C21
    Winchester, MA 01890
    T: 781-721-2100
    F: 781-721-2130
    M: 617-719-7474
    E-mail: cyril.verley@cdvsystems.com
    Web site:http://www.cdvsystems.com
    News: http://go.cadwire.net/?40193,1,1

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reduce the File size...

Wow. That sounds more like a bug

Does it do this on workset enabled projects, too??

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    Wow. That sounds more like a bug

Does it do this on workset enabled projects, too??
    My trial run at this doubled a stand alone file size and shrank back after closing all hidden windows. The same steps in a workset project made no change in file size for either the local or the central. Assuming Windows is accurately reporting the file size at all. No change after closing Explorer and reopening either or refresh.

Interesting!!

Login to Give a bone

Steve, the size doubling that you are describing sounds like something to do with backup files and is not related to closing the views. (Under some circumstances, intermediate backup files saved during the Revit session are twice as large as the original.) If you save the file. Close the file. Reopen it, and save again, I bet that you won't see any difference in file size, regardless of which views are open.

The behavior Cyril described sounds like something special going on with that file. I don't think it is possible it could happen in general cases.

I could stop if I wanted to kpaxton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Reduce the File size...

OK - I know this is later in the month for this... but this is my 2 cents.

Cyril - Hey! is that my file you're talking about??? I've had that 12 mb file expand up to near 48 megs!!

We run into this on a daily basis and I've determined that Yes, it has a direct correlation to what information is "open" in the view windows at the time of the save. Having multiple (8-12) views open concurrently doesn't necessaryily affect your ability to work, but if you flip back to an open Explorer window, hit F-5, you'll notice the increase in file size.

I'm not a programmer, so this is mainly conjecture, but I believe Revit uses the file as a staging area, or a scratch disk. You'll notice that there isn't a setting for one as there is in say, Photoshop; but it has to store the information somewhere, doesn't it? There's a lot of calculations the program has to do and refreshing when all these windows are open.

You'll truly notice this when you've got multiple windows that have shaded views, such as elevations, and you make a change during layout. Pay attention to the lower status bar.... refresh this... refresh this... (and yes... turn OFF your shadows until you're ready to print!! - saves a lot of time on slow machines).

When we're ready to close for the day, I'll go back to whatever view I want to show up in the thumbnail, close all other windows, then close the project (or exit). Inevitably the file size will shrink to the "base size". If you want to save more room... then purge your unused Families. This too has it's limitations for some reason as we've seen this either work or not work, depending on the file (see below).

There are some discrepancies however, when you start talking about Worksets. We've noticed no apparent ability to reduce file size when purging unused Families, and only minimal saving of file size due to the closing of windows. Perhaps the program keeps additional workset information in the base file? We don't know at this time why there's a discrepancy - perhaps the Revit Gurus could shed some light on this...

I'm not sure if this helped at all, but... hopefully shed some light here or there.

Kyle Paxton
    Senior Designer
    The Evans Group, Inc.
    Orlando, FL