See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revit Accuracy

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Accuracy

just a question ?

So, with such an accuracy, why do we have difficulties to model very small things ( for exemple ; cylinders smaller than 1mm diameter in shading mode)

All AUGI, all the time Roger Evans's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just a question from me ~ Who checks this accuracy, how & what with?

Login to Give a bone

Revit is set up to only allow a line or object larger than approx 0.2 mm in order to prevent inadvertent or unintentional movement or placement of objects or linework. You can however input dimensions for objects that are less than this over-ride

This over-ride feature is quite different from reporting the length of a line / object however.

As far as the original question is concerned, and realizing that the program does not accurately report this degree of accuracy,( and who would want it ) I tried to reproduce the problem, but I have no trouble getting lots and lots of zeros behind the decimal, for levels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

If it makes you feel any better i have seen the same problem with ArchiCAD, AutoCAD and Microstation so its an inherent computer issue. But in reality the issue isn't that big a deal in my mind. If you are getting into points of a millimeter it is a worry. No matter what you dimenion it as, the builder will only be within 5 to 10 mm of it anyway. Constrution tolerances are nowhere near the accuracy we are talking about here.

All AUGI, all the time Roger Evans's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I was really after the name of manufacturer of the tape measure

Login to Give a bone

Many CAD users are not computer scientists, and understandably don't know what's goin' on inside. Shocking truth: computers are inherently inaccurate! Visit this site:

http://www.lahey.com/float.htm

The arithmetic might be a little tough, but the concepts are essential to anyone who wants to understand why they can't get an exact number.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Beegee,

My problem with the levels that I posted only happens when I use a certain template file. The template is a custom one supplied by someone else and already has the levels set-up. I have deleted the levels and put in new ones but still get the problem. I have even picked a level and offset from that level by 1m and still get the trailing decimal point.

It seems strange that it is doing this and I wouldn't have picked it up but the template was also set to display the no. of decimal points that I had on the pdfs.

It don't believe that I have had this problem when using the standard templates.

In any case it is not that I ever work to those tolerances, obviously, but as this was how it appeared on the screen and then I couldn't correct it I was getting frustrated that no matter what I did I couldn't lose those decimal points.

After the explanation I felt a whole lot better, not that I was about to change my accuracy, but that it wasn't any deficiency on Revit's part.

In normal practice I would have my settings on 2 decimal places just as a check as I go along placing objects and my dimensions are always whole numbers unless working on some large scale intricate details.

Although in reality the contractors are not going to work to anything less than 5mm, they will be the first one to tell you that you have made a mistake in that your dimensions don't add-up (due to rounding).

Anyway back to the drawing board.

Regards,

Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12