Thread: Xref not loading current version of drawing

Login to Give a bone

Question Xref not loading current version of drawing

Hi, I have read through several of the numerous Xref related threads but I have not found any that match my issue. I have two drawings that are Xref'd to each other (aka, Circular Reference). When I make changes to either of them and then switch to the other drawing and reload the Xref'd drawing, it does not update the Xref. I have to either detach and reattach the Xref or go into Options>Open and Save and clear the check box in the Retain changes to Xref layers variable (which I need on because I am isolating certain layers and want them saved in that configuration). This is probably just a rookie mistake due to the Circular Reference I am using but is there any way around this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Xref not loading current version of drawing

Randy:

What is your XREFCTL set at?

Turns xref demand loading on and off and controls whether it opens the original drawing or a copy.
    0 Turns off demand loading; entire drawing is loaded
    1 Turns on demand loading, reference file is kept open
    2 Turns on demand loading; a copy of the reference file is opened
    When XLOADCTL is set to 2, the reference file copy is stored in the AutoCAD temporary files directory (defined by the OPTIONS command) or in a user-specified directory.

Scott

Login to Give a bone

An alternative to using Circular Reference if your using AutoCAD 2004 or higher.

Open the drawing that you will probably change to most, and xref the other file into it. Now when you need to make a change to the xrefed drawing, highlight the xref and right click (if you have right click setup to bring up menu) and select edit reference in place (wording my be different depending on version). This will allow you to make changes to the xrefed file and still be able to see the other drawing for reference. When your done tell AutoCAD to save the xref and your back in you main drawing with an updated xref.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Xref not loading current version of drawing

Thank you for the suggestions gpope and scott.wilcox, I will definitely try both of those.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Xref not loading current version of drawing

Ok, I tried both of those options and nothing seemed to work. I even removed the circular reference and I am only referencing one of the drawings but I still cannot get my referenced drawing to update. The Xref Manager states that the drawing has been changed but no matter how many times I click Reload I cannot get the most current version of the reference drawing to appear without having to detach and reattach. This is quite frustrating. Are there any other variables that I should look into?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by randyc
    Ok, I tried both of those options and nothing seemed to work. I even removed the circular reference and I am only referencing one of the drawings but I still cannot get my referenced drawing to update. The Xref Manager states that the drawing has been changed but no matter how many times I click Reload I cannot get the most current version of the reference drawing to appear without having to detach and reattach. This is quite frustrating. Are there any other variables that I should look into?
    Randy:

If you are only modifying layers, check the value of VISRETAIN. It has to be set to 0 in the host drawing for changes to the XREF to be seen without detaching and reattaching.

Type: Integer
    Saved in: Drawing
    Initial value: 1
    Controls the visibility, color, linetype, lineweight, and plot styles (if PSTYLEPOLICY is set to 0) of xref-dependent layers.

0 The layer table, as stored in the reference drawing (xref) takes precedence. Changes made to xref-dependent layers in the current drawing are valid in the current session only and are not saved with the drawing. When the current drawing is reopened, the layer table is reloaded from the reference drawing and the current drawing reflects those settings. The layer settings affected are On, Off, Freeze, Thaw, Color, Ltype, LWeight, and PStyle (if PSTYLEPOLICY is set to 0).

1 Xref-dependent layer changes made in the current drawing take precedence. Layer settings are saved with the current drawing's layer table and persist from session to session.

Scott

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, I'll continue to work with it.