Thread: Convert Ellipse to Polyline / Convert multiple Lines into Polylines

Login to Give a bone

Question Convert Ellipse to Polyline / Convert multiple Lines into Polylines

There was a great little post about changing splines to poly lines earlier - and I could use some more help in similar areas.

#1) Can Elipses / Elipse Arcs be converted to poly lines as well?

#2) Is there a way to convert all of the lines in a drawing to poly lines at once - even if they're not connected? (This, unfortunately, is not a situation where I can just use PEDIT, JOIN, and select everything with a crossing window).

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Convert Ellipse to Polyline / Convert multiple Lines into Polylines

Quote Originally Posted by luke.ottinger
    There was a great little post about changing splines to poly lines earlier - and I could use some more help in similar areas.

#2) Is there a way to convert all of the lines in a drawing to poly lines at once - even if they're not connected? (This, unfortunately, is not a situation where I can just use PEDIT, JOIN, and select everything with a crossing window).
    I know this doesn't answer your question, just wanted to throw it out there...
    set PEDITACCEPT to 1 to avoid that annoying 'this isn't a pline, would you like to turn it into one?' prompt (I believe this was added in 05? but, I could be wrong, it could have been there since r12 for all I know)
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Convert Ellipse to Polyline / Convert multiple Lines into Polylines

You're right, doesn't answer the questions, but it is still a valuable little time saver. Thanks for the tip!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mes0945
    I know this doesn't answer your question, just wanted to throw it out there...
    set PEDITACCEPT to 1 to avoid that annoying 'this isn't a pline, would you like to turn it into one?' prompt (I believe this was added in 05? but, I could be wrong, it could have been there since r12 for all I know)
    Not in A2k2...

Login to Give a bone

You can use the pedit command and then type "M" for multiple lines/arcs. Within that same routine, you can join all of the previously selected entities to join and then use a fuzz factor from 0.0 to whatever to join your lines/arc that are not connected at end points.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

That certainly helped with turning all of the lines into polies - but - my eliptical arcs aren't converting.

Alright, I've attached the file I'm working on for everyone's amusement. I'm attempting to take these pieces, make the entire piece 1/16" thick. This will all be cut from a metal lam and applied to a panel. Anyone have any ideas or at least feel my pain?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

AFAIK existing ellipses cannot be converted to plines. If "Pellipse" is set to "On", all subsequent ellipses with be created as polyline approximations to ellipses.

The Mpedit command - depends or your acad version and, for some versions, if you have Express Tools installed.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you Danger Mouse!

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Check out the following Technical Document on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS59474 - Change true ellipse into polyline

Have a good one, Mike

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Convert Ellipse to Polyline / Convert multiple Lines into Polylines

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Check out the following Technical Document on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS59474 - Change true ellipse into polyline

Have a good one, Mike
    really complicated set of instructions to accomplish something so seemingly simple don't you think?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell