Thread: overhead doors with varied number of panels

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy overhead doors with varied number of panels

I would like to have an overhead door family for use in industrial projects where the size might range from 8'x8' to 12'x14'.

The families I have tried allow me to change the door size but the number of panels doesn't change. So, with one family I get a 14' high door with 4 panels. With another I get an 8' high door with 7 panels.

Is it possible to have a door family that would let me vary the size and it would set the number of panels close to but not over 2' high?

Thanks.

Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: overhead doors with varied number of panels

It would have to be an array (you're just using model lines for the panel separations I assume). You could draw a model line at the bottom of the door, select it and hit array (make sure "Group and Associate" is checked) and then enter the number of copies (you'll need one more than the number of panels you want), and click Move to End. So for 5 panels, enter 6 copies, and move the line up to the top, and it will give you 5 equal spaces in between.

When you make the array, it will have an array line that points to each copied element, with a number beside, which is the number of copies. You can then put a parameter on that array number. Name it whatever you want, like maybe Panel Separations. Then go to Family Types, create another parameter called Number of Panels. In the equation box next to Panel Separations, put Number of Panels + 1.

Now when you place the family in a project, you should be able to type 5 for Number of Panels, and that will instruct it to array 6 copies of that model line, which will give you 5 panels when you view it in elevation or 3D.

Now I'm at home right now, so all of that *should* work, but I'm not at work to try it.. Let me know if it doesn't.

Login to Give a bone

Now that I think about it some more, if you really wanted to get into it, you can add a distance parameter on one individual panel, and you can add in parameters that can say if one panel gets more than 2 feet tall, then add one to the array number, and so on, but I haven't really gone that far into complex family creation.

Login to Give a bone

Simplest way is to just have one panel. Then simply apply a material with the appropriate model surface pattern of horizontal or vertical lines. Saves arraying lines.
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

Login to Give a bone

Yes but then if the door is a height that is not a multiple of 2 feet, then there would be an odd-sized panel at the top or bottom. Arraying the lines will yield equally-sized panels, which is how I would want it.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    Yes but then if the door is a height that is not a multiple of 2 feet, then there would be an odd-sized panel at the top or bottom.
    The overhead doors I've dealt with use fixed panel heights (depending on the manuf.) and the assembled door will overlap the opening (the top) a little to seal against the inside edge of the opening. From the front the top panel typically only reveals a portion of the true panel height. Worrying about the precise height of the panels in an elevation view isn't all that important, at least at the top. In the end the opening will have to be coordinated with the door that you approve during submittals.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-06-19 at 07:42 PM.