See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Linking Building to Site Plan!

Login to Give a bone

Question Linking Building to Site Plan!

I don't understand how to link my building plan into my site plan efficiently!? I have a house plan in which we use often for a spec. It is either left or right handed. I would like to be able to keep the house the same from the sole plate up, and do the rest per every site we run across. So the only thing I have to do each time we want to use this house it draw the site plan, then link in the project. Yada Yada. So this is the first time I've done this. I've created a site plan. Then I created my building plan. This is what I've come up with so far. I've created by walls from the first floor level up, along with ever thing else in the building plan. then I linked it to my site plan. Just moved the building plan into elevation position in an elevation view??(is that how you do that by the way....don't understand the whole coordinate thing) Then I created foundation footings and stem walls and the floors (so I could join geometry) in the site plan, then just set there height where it would match up to the first floor on the linked building plan. So everything looks good. But now I am going to document the thing? I guess I do the dimensioning, scheduling, pointing to and everything else to do with a floor plan in the building model, then I do the cross-sections and specific model detailing in the site plan. then have to go back and forth with sheet sets because I've done something here and something over there. I don't like it, of course I may have this whole thing wrong!! I also don't understand how I'm going to keep from re-drawing things with this linking issue.

Anyway, if someone could please shed some light on this one for me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm kind of at a loss. I will proceed just to get the job done, but I sure would like a better way of doing it.

Thanks Guys
    Have a good one

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linking Building to Site Plan!

We have done a little work using linked files for project homes. We started differently, but had 80 houses comprised of 4 or 5 versions plus left or right hands; if this is what you are ultimately doing then maybe our procedure will help.

First we created the master house plans, with sections, dimensions and everything we could reasonably do to avoid repetition when later (even blank site views with the dwelling and one of everything we would use to complete the site plan once sited).

Then we created the overall topography, lot boundaries and street features.

Once that was complete we would copy a master drawing (it could be saved as a template), prefixing it with an allotment number and proceeded to link in the site topography, you must take into account "project linking" and "shared coordinates" when doing this (see Linking Building Models and Sharing Coordinates in the tutorial), we also linked in adjoining dwellings where they shared common walls (set them to half tone in Visibility), so that we could complete the interface between them and add dimensions etc to those features.

Hope this helps, It's a bit kludgey and Revit needs to address some issues for the project home industry. The ability to check out a dwelling as you do a workset and incorporate it into many projects would mean one master dwelling to amend and the effects would trickle through each of the child projects when they were updated or opened would save a lot of work.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Linking Building to Site Plan!

I appreciate you taking your time to respond to my thread!!

Yeah, this helps. So I think I've done things a little backwards then. I'm taking from your procedure that linking the topography or the site plan itself to the specific building model is the most efficient way, not the other way around. Makes sence, because then you have your building all drawn, specific sections, detailing etc. That saves you from having to do those sections etc., in the site plan every time you have a new site. You just need to detail the site and position it in your building model, hence the coordinate sharing. Seems pretty obvious now that I here it. I've caused my self a little work, not to mention backtracking, but hey, that's what makes you better. Thanks.

I'm curious as to what the "one of everything" for the site plan was? Sounds like you had this down.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Linking Building to Site Plan!

A few more questions.

So you've done all the sections in the building project. Say you have a site that has some considerably drastic grades an you would like to represent this in your elevation. Do you just adjust the foundation and stem walls every new project so those things are correct, then do your generic section representation in 2-d, where you already created those sections, more than likely drawing them relative to a level surface? As I'm asking that doesn't seem too bad, and I think that makes sense. Anyway, thats all I've ran into so far, I'm sure I'll think of something else. Thanks!!