Thread: Can AutoCAD 2005 and 2006 run on the same server?

Login to Give a bone

Smile Can AutoCAD 2005 and 2006 run on the same server?

Can AutoCAD 05 and 06 run on the same server?

Thanks,

maehle@stlcc.edu

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can AutoCAD 2005 and 2006 run on the same server?

Quote Originally Posted by maehle
    Can AutoCAD 05 and 06 run on the same server?

Thanks,

maehle@stlcc.edu
    I'm not sure what you mean by Server. They both can be run on the same PC (desktop workstation) but you typically don't run AutoCAD from a server unless it's a Citrix environment which technically Autodesk doesn't allow or support without granting a special exception to your EULA.

Login to Give a bone

I teach at a community college and we run autoCAD from our server. I don't know what kind it is. The IS guys insist on running it on a server as opposed to loaded locally (my preference). They also told me that they could not have both 05 and 06 running on the server at the same time. ( I think the just don't want to load the new version).
    I'm just looking for documentation that says it can be done so I don't hear anymore excuses from the IS dept and I can get on with my job of teaching.
    Thanks,

Manufacturing Moderator jonathan.landeros's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I teach at a community college and we run autoCAD from our server. I don't know what kind it is. The IS guys insist on running it on a server as opposed to loaded locally (my preference). They also told me that they could not have both 05 and 06 running on the server at the same time. ( I think the just don't want to load the new version).
    I'm just looking for documentation that says it can be done so I don't hear anymore excuses from the IS dept and I can get on with my job of teaching.
    Thanks,
    Are you sure that he isn't referring to a network license running on the server? In this configuration the clients have the install, but it requests licenses from the server.

Both products can be licensed from the same server, providing the following are configured.

1) The license file on the server needs codes for both 2005 and 2006
    2) The license management software, FlexLM, is version 10.1.5 or higher.

There used to be a way to run the software off the server, but it was slow as the hills. I don't know if that's still possible or not.

I hope this info helps.
    Jonathan Landeros
    KETIV Technologies
    Orange County, California.

I've got a blog: www.inventor-tales.blogspot.com

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction.Next stop, Looneyville.” -Bob the Skull in the Dresden Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks,
    If it is indeed running as a thin client application, then I don't know if you are going to have much in the way of resources to help you out. In an educational setting, this makes more sense but to the best of my knowledge it's still not supported by Autodesk and is a violation of your licensing agreement unless you are granted a special exception by Autodesk. Then again, in an aducational setting, I'm sure the licensing rules all change anyway.

If you'd prefer to have it loaded and running locally, perhas you could persue the legality aspect of running it on a server to force them to load it locally.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Short version: Yep, you can do it.

It can be done if you take the time to set it up right with the correct network set-up... which the college may or may not be ready to do. But, it may take 2 "servers" instead of 1 in order to run easily and efficiently (I'm not an expert at this so it could potentially be done on the same server if it's powerful enough, but I'm not sure how well your own network will hold up. But I can tell you it can be done well in a network (multiple server) environment).

Is it legal? Yep, I believe it can be as long as your licenses are properly managed... if you have any questions feel free to ask your dealer (if it's Hagerman or Seiler I have good people to talk with). Also, I'm from your area (St Louis) and President of the local Autodesk User Group (Gateway Autodesk User Group of St Louis)... feel free to get in touch with me about any other questions you may have.
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 2005-08-23 at 02:59 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, legally you can run both on a server as long as you do not exceed your licenses. Example if you have 10 seats of AutoCAD you are aloud to run 5 & 5 etc.