Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a decent converter for Revit DWG/DXF/SAT to other formats...

Login to Give a bone

Default Need a decent converter for Revit DWG/DXF/SAT to other formats...

Hey everyone, I've been having a devil of a time with the DXF's that export out of Revit when trying to convert/import them into other 3D applications. I have no idea why, but there tend to be problems. These DXF's will open just fine in other Autodesk apps, but for example they consistently crash Blender, CNC-Toolpath generators, or older DXF conversion tools. My guess is it has something to do with the importers for these other 3D programs not understanding all that xData or something that Revit puts in there, but this is at best a guess. Could also be that Revit DXF's are 2000/2004, and these systems were based upon a more generic DXF standard (heh 'standard'. in the 3D world. I made a funny).

So, if I first open these DXF's in AutoCAD, and save them back down, I can then commonly pull them into Blender without issue. Funny that. I can also export them out to 3DS as well, but not terribly well, for there isn't much control there over the faceting and triangulation that occurs on the smooth solids. And using a multi-thousand dollar CAD program to simply convert a 3D file is more than a little silly.

OK, so I want to hear what 3D file converters y'all have had good luck with out there. There are many of them, so I'm hoping for a little real-world advice towards a good one. I need a way to take something out of Revit and turn it into either a decent 3DS file, a nice DXF, or a STL. Anyone got any tips?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Need a decent converter for Revit DWG/DXF/SAT to other formats...

I completely agree with you on that one. I just obtained a copy of Light Wave and have been doing some research on how to get my Revit model in there. What I have been hearing is that Polytrans is the way to go. http://www.okino.com/default.htm It's another added cost (which I may or may not do), but will save time in the long run. That's about all I was able to come up with after posting on numerous CG forums. Hope that helps!

Login to Give a bone

Thanks taylor, it's a big help. I'll check this out.

Anyone else have a favored solution? or at least the same problems?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Jeff -

We fixed something in 8.1 that could have been causing (some of) these crashes. Could you try exporting to DXF from 8.1 if you can, and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, or you don't have access to 8.1, could you post a sample or two of these DXF files.

(slightly off-topic, but I'm curious) - what apps do you need to exchange 3D data with? For what purpose - is it machining, visualisation, rapid prototyping, etc...

Thanks,

NS

Login to Give a bone

Jeff, since you already seam to have a copy of Autocad, you already have the best file translator. I agree that it's overkill, but it works.

Taylor, congrats on "obtaining" a copy of Lightwave for your winning house design.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay.Shulga
    We fixed something in 8.1 that could have been causing (some of) these crashes. Could you try exporting to DXF from 8.1 if you can, and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, or you don't have access to 8.1, could you post a sample or two of these DXF files.

I just loaded it on the other day, and will give it a go.

(slightly off-topic, but I'm curious) - what apps do you need to exchange 3D data with? For what purpose - is it machining, visualization, rapid prototyping, etc...
    Kinda all-of-the-above. I just bought one of these. I'm blogging about it here. I'm going to start out with making some simple products with it, but hope to scale all the way up to whole buildings at some point in the future. BIM + Automated manufacturing, more or less.

Having been all heavy into Revit for the last five years, and with Revit gettin' all mainstream now, I figured I better move onto something a little crazier...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Just buy VIZ Jeffrey. Looks like you've already spent a lot of money on the CNC machining so a little more for VIZ won't matter

I've just been through the same process but for rendering purposes. I really wanted to use Cinema4D because I like it's workflow and the quality. But I've just purchased VIZ because DXF was causing me problems and translations didn't seem so good (well importing into C4D). Polytrans is great but for DWG you need the CAD plugin which is $395+$245 for the total package. A hell of a lot of money for something you should be getting for free with Revit!!

Technically, the API could do it for you but it's a big job writing a translator. Given your hourly rate it's much cheaper just buying VIZ. Plus you get a rendering system as well...

I know it's depressing, but as you know we've been asking for decent export options for years.

HTH,

Guy

Login to Give a bone

Yeah this nonsense of not being able to import to other apps is rather annoying! I understand the marketing strategy of autodesk, but come on. We don't all use viz or max ( I have been using 3ds previous to the Autodesk acquisition of discreet) so give us some flexibility here. You have a loyal user database here,so bend your marketing strategy and you would benefit from it. What's sad is that Archicad has joined forces with Maxon and Autodesk can't even get their own apps to work together properly. An Archicad user can bring a model into C4D and make modifications and re-import back into to Archicad http://www.Graphisoft.com/products/A...maxonform.html. We can't even get our material defs to remain once an update is made.

Sorry but that's how I feel about it.
    Last edited by tbarnesarc; 2005-09-01 at 08:04 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by taylor.71590
    Yeah this nonsense of not being able to import to other apps is rather annoying! I understand the marketing strategy of autodesk, but come on. We don't all use viz or max ( I have been using 3ds previous to the Autodesk acquisition of discreet) so give us some flexibility here. You have a loyal user database here,so bend your marketing strategy and you would benefit from it. What's sad is that Archicad has joined forces with Maxon and Autodesk can't even get their own apps to work together properly. An Archicad user can bring a model into C4D and make modifications and re-import back into to Archicad http://www.Graphisoft.com/products/A...maxonform.html. We can't even get our material defs to remain once an update is made.

Sorry but that's how I feel about it.
    Don't worry I feel the same as you... as I'm sure alot of other Revit users do.

Xe

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by GuyR
    Just buy VIZ Jeffrey. Looks like you've already spent a lot of money on the CNC machining so a little more for VIZ won't matter
    Well, rendering isn't my primary business, so that's why I was hoping to just use Blender for the 'small curvy models' (furniture and the like) & renderings and animations (and Revit for everything else). Blender exports to several rendering engines, and exports to the CNC software fine, too. And heck, if I was going to spend that kinda money on software, I'd be better off buying a solid modeling package for doing the furniture in, like getting Inventor or Solidworks or something; for while Blender is great it's like Viz or Max in that it produces semi-accurate Meshes and not nice perfectly accurate Solids.

As for writing a exporter via the API, I've been researching it heavily, and you're right, it's a lot of work, that I probably won't have time for, sadly.

But the simple fact remains that I'm still having some issues with DXF's out of Revit 8.1. Blender only seems to see part of them, and the CNC software is having issues too. I'll test some more, but it's pretty ****** to have such great information in Revit that can't be taken anywhere else (other than another Autodesk product) easily...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast