Thread: VIZ Render Colors

Login to Give a bone

Question VIZ Render Colors

My question deals with the coloring in VIZ Render, the Autodesk version. I've noticed that the colors I use on the screen are not true to the colors I receive when I print out a fresh, new rendering. I have a major problem getting pure white to show up. I know the values for pure white are 255 in each of the three color fields, but when I use that, my color still turns out a dingy grey at best. I've also used a deep, dark blue before and it turned out really bright. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong and/or how I might correct this problem? Does it have anything to do with what's taking place in Autodesk long before the file reaches VIZ? Or is it something that can be corrected before the rendering?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: VIZ Render Colors

Our firm has made extensive efforts to get true colors to print.
    Most of our adjustments were done to the color printer configs.
    If you're saying that you are getting a dingy grey for true white, I'd first check to make sure that it's not casting a shadow. I myself haven't seen a rendering on a screen that truly matches a printed version, but you can get close.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: VIZ Render Colors

Well, it's not just when it prints, but even on the screen. I can change the colors to what I want, but sometimes they're still not true to what it says. Like when I used the blue...I nearly had it black, and then when I rendered it, it was a bright color. Maybe I'm not setting something right. It's not just the printer, however, it's also what I see on the screen. One printer I use is specific for photos (but also used for other things), and it's true to the photos, but not so true to the render. Argh, gets frustrating to know what I want but unsure how to achieve it. Thanks for your suggestion.

Too, I've checked for the shadow...there's not one...

Login to Give a bone

Here's a test suggestion.

Make a 3d cube, place it on a pure white background. Assign a flat white color to the background, and make the cube a flat black and see what happens. This may help you figure out whats up. I've gotten bad results with AccuRender in 3.3 and it was due to the size of the model and the fact that the building was far away from the 0,0 origin.

The only other thing I can think of would have to due with linking the materials, if you are doing that.
    I could see where they might be something messed up with the material assignment or color that is embedded in the ADT objects that may be overriding the VIZ set up. You could also try creating some simple geometry in VIZ and see what kind of results you get.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I don't know as much about this as I think I do, but I have had experience with several printers and other programs. There are many variables that affect the screen-to-paper transition. Consider that your monitor is RGB and your printer is CMYK. The RGB creates black by an absence of three colors and white by the presence of all colors. CMYK, on the other hand, includes black as a color.

Also, consider that your monitor may need adjusting. Adobe Photoshop ships with a Monitor adjusting plug-in that works quite well. There may be others out there, as well. The Adobe plug-in sets the brightness of the screen and the amount of black between the lines, so you could see how that would affect the situations you are describing.

See, I told you that I don't know much.

Login to Give a bone

I changed my brightness & contrast before I rendered and got a bright white. Only thing is it made the rest of my colors look washed out.

I've tried the other suggestions. It's more about getting the color in VizRender to show as its true self, rather than a different hue, instead of the printer vs. monitor issue. (Hope that made sense.)