Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revit Training - A Starter/Primer

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Training - A Starter/Primer

Funny.

True story:

I was going to buy at ArchiCAD at the last firm I worked for - but the ArchiCAD reseller (being honest) told me I should also look at something called "Revit". In addition to 1) having resolved fundamental building relationships (wall/roof/floor/ceiling/levels/hosted elements...) and 2) made creating content approachable...they had also, 3) "...integrated documentation". We both considered exporting/linking for CD's to be problematic either functionally (horribly disruptive) - or philosophically (from an implementation standpoint it's horribly complex). Integrated CD's - not linking....not exporting...seemed to be a fundamental leap forward...so elegant.

So I downloaded 1.0 and have never looked back.

And the reseller? He's using Revit.

-Phil
    Last edited by Phil Read; 2005-09-08 at 04:00 AM.

Login to Give a bone

I actually did a little lunchtime demo. I took the "First Model" tutorial and ran through it live as everyone watched. As simple as it is, it really shows off all of Revit's capabilities. It really got everyone charged up, from drafters to vice presidents!
    I followed that up with an open offer that I would install a 30 day demo and anyone could run through the same tutorial and see the benefits for themselves.
    It's really paid off big. People love it when they can take it at their own pace. Some people "unlearn" Autocad faster than others!

Login to Give a bone

visit www.ascented.com...well established courseware with instructor's kits

Login to Give a bone

I too would avoid using a Powerpoint presentation as training, although it is helpful to provide an overview of what to expect if you presenting Revit instead of training Revit. A few months ago I ave a 90 minute Revit presentation to the entire company. Our drafting department was required to be there, but the rest of the company was invited, the presentation was also being recorded so our other locations could see it. About 80-90 people showed up including the 35 members of our drafting department. The presentation started with a Powerpoint presentation that outlined what to expect, what the differences would be, what the benefits were, and so forth. From there I ran through a demo showing off all of the great things that can be done with Revit. I was in a fortunate position because I didn't have to convice people to use the program, that decision had been made long ago, I was just showing people what to expect and trying to get them excited about the program. It worked very well, most of the staff couldn't wait to be trained, quite a few people were volunteering for the first training group.

When I started the training I planned on doing 7 hours a day for 4 days for the initial training, with short training courses to occur once or twice a month. I generated two sample projects that we would do during training. The first project was a large project with regards to SF, but was very simple and had repetition. The second project was actually a small pilot project that I had done which was a common but small type of project that we normally do. The training was arranged so that each command was taught one at a time. I would show them how to use the command and the different options that applied to the command, then I would have them do that portion of their project (example: draw the walls). One of the most helpful things I did was to explain the command relative to the AutoCAD command and explain why they operated in different ways, this seemed to help them understand the process or "rules" Revit uses. We actually completed the training in about 25 hours instead of 28 and the first group (3 drafters and a project manager) began work on a large project the next week. The project is a new campus our portion of the project is 12 buildings totaling about 69,000 SF, we had rough floor plans complete for all of the buildings in about 12 hours.

The best advice I can give is first make the training project like a real project that you would do, second don't waste time and brain space on commands and features that your company won't use.

I could stop if I wanted to Kevin Janik's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Have people seen the E-mail below from CDV Systems on the Family Editor?

Kevin

CDV Systems Announces Release of New TLC Videos for Autodesk Revit

Consulting Firm Adds Advanced Video Training Products to its Line of Comprehensive Services for Revit Users

PORTSMOUTH, RI (September 6, 2006) – CDV Systems, Inc., providers of Autodesk® Revit® and CodeBook® implementation services, training, consulting and courseware to the AEC market, nationally and internationally, announces the release of the first in its new series of TLC (Technical Learning Courseware) Videos for Autodesk Revit.

These TLC Videos are designed for existing Revit users interested in improving their advanced skills. Each TLC Video is comprised of fully animated, sequential “chapters” containing instructional vignettes of approximately 1-1/2 minutes in length. In addition to the hyperlinked chapters, a fully hyperlinked index provides convenient access to specific topics and commands.

TLC Videos take the user step-by-step through many of the various scenarios that an AEC design professional may encounter when using Revit on a project. This process introduces the user to both simple and complex issues and, furthermore, provides reasons why a task is being performed.

TLC Videos offer improved functionality over other forms of video and printed courseware which include:

Downloads easily to the user’s desktop for an unlimited number of convenient viewings
    Easy to understand step-by-step instruction
    Detailed index zeroes in on specific topics for in- depth learning
    Videos utilize “real world” scenarios with the most efficient solutions
    Available to the user 24/7 without internet connection

Steven Nutter, Graphics and Technology Director for the architectural firm Miller Dyer Spears, has previewed the new video courseware. “Nothing in the industry exists to my knowledge that covers the full breadth of Revit’s features as well as these videos,” Nutter notes. “They’re terrific and a must for any user interested in improving their Revit skills.”

First Topic in the TLC Series: “The Family Editor Revealed”
    The first TLC Video to be released describes in great detail the uses and management of Revit’s “Family Editor”. Using sixty-eight unique video vignettes, “The Family Editor Revealed” runs for an hour and a half.

The decision to begin the series with “The Family Editor Revealed” was deliberate, given the importance of family editing within Revit. “Any Revit user will benefit from using the TLC Videos to supplement their knowledge of the software,” notes CDV Systems President Cyril Verley. “Understanding the possibilities of using Revit is a great thing. But once the user understands the management, editing and treatment of Revit families as mini- databases, a whole new world of possibilities opens; these videos expand those possibilities.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12