View Poll Results: Where should the factory concentrate their resources for the next release?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Focus on sorting out the bugs reported to date

55 79.71%
  • They probably have the mix just right

9 13.04%
  • I need more features, the bugs are insignificant

5 7.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make existing features work before any more new features

I could stop if I wanted to Damo's Avatar

Default Make existing features work before any more new features

Ok, I'm going to hop on to the bandwagon here and see what response I get from this poll.

I've been having some problems with existing features not working as they should, eg: room tags and curtain walling, amongst other items.

Although there are others on this forum that seem to be having more serious problems than I, I'd like to propose that the factory concentrate the majority of their time on sorting out all the little bugs and other nuances and less time on adding new features, at least for the next point release.

Sorting out bugs = fewer submissions to support = more time to provide new features.

Default Re: Make existing features work before any more new features

I agree completely. One of the beauties of revit was/is its stability. I know this remains a high priority but it is expected at some level the more a software does, the more problems that can arise.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Damo
    ...I've been having some problems with existing features not working as they should, eg: room tags and curtain walling, amongst other items...
    Can we define bug?

In my opinion, your recent examples of room area trouble have more to do with how you did things than a bug. The dwg export issue that Aaron identified earlier today is a good example of what a bug is.

I guess I'm picky but bugs are things that don't work the way the programmer intended them to. I may not be happy with how they planned it to work but it doesn't make it a bug.

As such there a very few bugs that are showstoppers and when they are...a new build appears.

All AUGI, all the time jbalding48677's Avatar

I voted for more focus, but really wanted a button that said a little more focus (say 20% more or so) on fixing and polishing existing functionality.

MTC -
    - JB

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar

LMAO don't ever mention bugs around steve I agree there are lots of BUGS that need to be worked out although the new features are cool, we need some fundemental features, like angled dimensions not dimensioning to the core....although the programmers may have intended this way I would still consider it a BUG! ?

AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    Can we define bug?

In my opinion, your recent examples of room area trouble have more to do with how you did things than a bug. The dwg export issue that Aaron identified earlier today is a good example of what a bug is.

I guess I'm picky but bugs are things that don't work the way the programmer intended them to. I may not be happy with how they planned it to work but it doesn't make it a bug.

As such there a very few bugs that are showstoppers and when they are...a new build appears.
    Hi Steve, this subject is my real pet peeve at the moment, so please dont be offended, but rant mode is on - I dont think its really Bugs Damo is talking about, more the nuances that many are becoming frustrated by.

Some big examples are handed buildings, groups, site tools, detailing (can I say that again, Detailing!), lineweight depth control in views, the general GUI of Revit and so on - there are many more throughout this wishlist repeated in various guises over and over again. All of these things are not show stopping as you say, but many of them after years of waiting for improvement are really becoming quite irritating subjects from my point of view - especially when they come up over and over again from different users and get overlooked again. If you look through the wishlist the large majority of the wishes are really not for new tools but improvements to what we alread have, and a lot are repeated.

In my opinion a lot of effort has been put into things like complex curtain walling, Getting DWF, Revit structure, API etc - and if I am honest I really just dont care about any of these things, If we werent on subscription we honestly would not have upgraded since 7.0 - I do care that I still cant do something really simple like have a solid filled region colourwash to any view I like, I cant do a detail in Revit and use anything smarter than cut and paste to add it to a new project - I have to pick loads, and loads of on screen buttons to simply edit a group or filled region...... The response to these things is often, why would you want to do that? - or it will come at some point in the future, the simple answer is that I can do many these things with the most basic CAD software so thats why I want to do that, and that I have waited through a lot of releases now to still not see a lot of this basic stuff being sorted out. - whilst some pretty complicated functions are being added (most of which I am never going to use)

Revit can do some really ground breaking things, and do them very well and I love using it because of these things. I dont want to leave the impression I dont think Revit is an excellent piece of software because it is - but it really lacks some of the basics and either does them badly or just not at all - the basic stuff is really becoming more and more important to me...

Anyway, I apologise for Ranting, I think I pretty much got everything off my chest in this post to be honest!

Anyway if you read my signature below, I think I forgot to take the shoes - so I am off!!!
    Last edited by Martin P; 2005-09-21 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin P
    ...but it really lacks some of the basics and either does them badly or just not at all - the basic stuff is really becoming more and more important to me...
    I've noticed the same thing recently. Back a couple of releases ago, it was a matter of just hold on and they will be fixed/added soon. But we're still waiting.

Another thing is the stability, which seems to be degrading with each release. I think I have had more crashes with 8.x, than all the past releases put together. And not to mention projects that need to be sent to support for the so called 'manual' upgrading, and I have more which I haven't been bothered to send yet.

Absolutely, I agree that we need a release where most of the small 'CAD Standard' tools are added and the many broken ones fixed. I would like a software that runs well with few features, than with a lot of buggy features.

My top three gripes at the moment are:
    1. Solid colour fills that can actually be transparent when the transparent parameter is selected.
    2. DWG exported as they should. I don't think I have ever heard of Autodesk not being able to export to their own DWG format before.
    3. DWF files that create vector graphics instead of raster. What's the point of DWF if it creates a file that is bigger and slower than a PDF?
    ...oh make that 4 gripes, Site tools. Chant along with me now.
    Site tools!! What are they good for.....absolutely nothing.

I could stop if I wanted to Damo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    Can we define bug?
    As I said in my post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAMO
    ....problems with existing features not working as they should.
    Steve, to me, if it doesn't work like it should, it causes unexpected results, or in the case of my room tags, inconsistent results, then it's a bug.

I remember once hearing a lot about how Revit is intuitive. When I keep getting errors doing basic Revit stuff ( and I would define curtain walling + room tags as being basic stuff, nothing fancy) then I would consider this a bug. Today I posted a reply telling how I accidentally solved my problem when working elsewhere on the model. Where is the intuitiveness in this?

Bug
    Bug
    Bug

I do fully appreciate the desire to have existing features polished, I want them every bit as much as anyone else.

In the same breath, take the request for a better way to handle details. It really isn't a bug though we may be inclined to call it one. A documented process doesn't exist, so how can it "not work" and be called a bug. It is a completely new specification for process...or in other words a major new feature. How can this be? In the earliest releases of Revit there were no roofs...was it a bug or just not implemented yet? I suppose the subtlety of the difference doesn't matter to most of us since we don't have what we want?

If we want them to improve various features that need subtle improvements at the expense of big new features, then you'll need to kiss detail management goodbye, till the following release anyway. Sometimes what seems simple to us isn't really all that simple.

For every feature that one of us is ambivalent about, there is someone who uses it everyday.

I think my request for definition is pretty well supported judging from the replies after it.

P.S. I don't like the word bug because of software development work I've done in the past.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-09-21 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damo
    When I keep getting errors doing basic Revit stuff ( and I would define curtain walling + room tags as being basic stuff, nothing fancy) then I would consider this a bug..
    Two of us replied telling you how to model the building conditions you were working with. If you followed the advice you would find that sort of problem wouldn't happen. Your signature line is accurate in this instance .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast