View Poll Results: Would color coding worksets be useful to you?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • In Favor

9 90.00%
  • Not in Favor

1 10.00%
  • Not relavent to me

0 0%
  • Don't Understand the Issue

0 0%

Thread: Color Coded Worksets

Cool Color Coded Worksets

I know this sounds a lot like layers in AutoCAD, but I would like a toggle (just like the thick lines/thin lines button) that lets me view worksets in color. Every workset would be assigned a color when created, you could change the color but not have two worksets with the same color (I supposed this would limit us to millions of worksets). By default, things would work and look the same as they do now, but you could toggle on Workset colors to quickly scan your model for workset issues, or to identify what workset you should be working on.

For example, I am making pickups on a set of drawings right now, a little change here, a little change there, etc. Every 5 minutes I'm on a different workset, something like this would make it easier to be on the right workset.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar

Default Re: Color Coded Worksets

In 8 I would say yes but with the new features in 8.1 I see worksets going away, I only use worksets for controlling visibility of certain objects now. Others may disagree with me from years of using worksets, but I can see worksets slowly fading away, they are way too manual and very un revit like

I guess I would just make the the grey out inactive worksets button enhanced. I would like to be able to make the inactive worksets even lighter.

I use worksets for memory management of large projects, for enhanced control of visibility, and for control of exports. I create a lot of worksets of NIC information which is useful to me, but doesn't need to bog down the whole model. I also use it for trade specific information to be able to export only certain groups of information... which is especially useful with exporting 3D. It would be very helpful, for example, as I'm conflict checking (not for blatant intersections) to see electrical in red, mech in blue, struct in green, etc.

Worksets are dead, long live worksets!

All AUGI, all the time

Quote Originally Posted by david.kingham
    In 8 I would say yes but with the new features in 8.1 I see worksets going away, I only use worksets for controlling visibility of certain objects now. Others may disagree with me from years of using worksets, but I can see worksets slowly fading away, they are way too manual and very un revit like
    Might be true in the case of single users but worksets are the only way that multiple users can work on the same model.

I think that maybe the idea is that once worksets are enabled, it doesn't matter as much what workset an object is on because borrowing is transparent in 8.1. The worksets are there, but you never interact with them.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrebaros
    I think that maybe the idea is that once worksets are enabled, it doesn't matter as much what workset an object is on because borrowing is transparent in 8.1. The worksets are there, but you never interact with them.
    Maybe...if you didn't need to specify what things were in different worksets to unload them. If you could just draw a "window" around part of the model to unload them? Still the ability to group objects of many categories in a single workset to control their visibilty and or being loaded is pretty useful. Not sure how this can go away. I do agree that they will likely get much less intrusive and 8.1 is a great leap in that direction.

I could stop if I wanted to

The selective opening of worksets is very usefull controlling performance issues with large models.
    The issue we are coming up against now is that one of our engineers has 2 models for his structure linked and then linkinging in the Architects model.

The problem he has is that he has no way of 'selectively linking' the worksets from the arch model.
    His performance is somewhat slow as is all or nothing for him !

I could stop if I wanted to Danny Polkinhorn's Avatar

I think this is a fabulous idea. I can't tell you how many times someone checked out a workset and didn't set it active (no, the prompt doesn't always come up). This would give a quick visual to determine what elements are in the wrong workset.

Likewise, a quicker way of moving elements to another workset is also needed. Selecting a bunch of objects then going to properties doesn't always give the option of changing the workset like it should. So then you have to start selecting elements by type. Can be a real pain. I think this has been wished before.

Hey look, 100 posts. I only have 425,234,731,853 to go to catch beegee.