Thread: Revit, ADT, Formulas and BOMA Calculations

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit, ADT, Formulas and BOMA Calculations

Is it possible in Revit to create a schedule with formulas that will generate the actual BOMA calculations using the 1996 standard? Has anyone tried this? If not, what do you all do when you are contractually required to provide this information? Are you doing the same export thing I was forced to use with ADT schedules? Has anyone tried the Access export and gotten it to work for BOMA calculations? I have done this in ADT/Excel for buildings from 2 to 28 floors and I pretty much hate doing it. I know I can get the raw data easily from Revit but it's the formulas and complexity that's the challenge.

I am willing to add to my task list and tackle the problem eventually, but if anyone has determined it's hopeless already, I will not bother.

Attached is a PDF of an XLT file I created for generating true BOMA calculations based on the 1996 standard. It was a pain to create, it is complicated to get correct, and I cannot link the information to ADT schedules we currently use. We have successfully exported the ADT schedule and managed the raw data with a copy-paste fairly successfully but it's still a pain and it's not an active link. The number of steps wherein user error could trump the result is too high.

Thank you,
    PBR
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to Tom Dorner's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit, ADT, Formulas and BOMA Calculations

We do tons of almost BOMA style calcs for our main client which uses the older BOMA (pre 1996) method which can be done almost completely within Revit. (have to add in the gross area to a shared parameter).

The 1996 BOMA method presents more of a challange. I had started on it via ODBC export, but then other things took priority. My methodology was to use Crystal Reports to report on the Revit ODBC export. I think CR can do a better job of formatting than Access. It should be a simple matter of fighting through a CR report definition as all the data seems to be present in the ODBC export. The one thing to watch out for in all the ODBC fields is that the areas and lengths are all in metric so you need to add the proper conversions into all formulas.

If only there were 12 more hours in a day I might be able to handle half the things I need to do!

Good luck.....

Tom

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Revit, ADT, Formulas and BOMA Calculations

Phyllisr,

Any more news on the BOMA calcs in Revit?

Login to Give a bone

I too am interested to see if anyone managed to create the same spreadsheet in Revit. Our office does numerous BOMA calcs and has a excel file similar to yours that need manual input to finish. I haven't bothered to reverse engineer the schedule yet to recreate it in Revit either. Any news would be great, especially with the newest BOMA standard having just been released.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I know there is a way to do this in Revit now. You have to create a "master" BOMA schedule and filter out parameters to get a "reliable" output of areas. I essentially have a Gross BOMA schedule and a Net BOMA schedule now, its only a matter of time until I combine them in the right sequence.

Unless someone has already done this and is willing to post their .rvt file???

-ryan
    Last edited by rbcameron1; 2012-09-14 at 05:38 PM.