View Poll Results: Would you like to see the Browser and Design Bar have an "Auto Hide" Feature

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • High Priority

8 33.33%
  • Medium Priority

14 58.33%
  • Low Priority

2 8.33%

Thread: Screen Real Estate - "Auto Hide"

All AUGI, all the time jbalding48677's Avatar

I have been thinking about screen real estate and considering a second monitor. Began thinking about how other programs handle this and the most basic answer was right in front of me. The Auto Hide setting on my Windows Task Bar!!!

I propose that Revit make the Project Browser and the Design Bar "Auto Hide".

The way I see it working is that the toolbars could be docked at the right and left of the screen and when the mouse goes off the screen to the left or right the browser or design bar will float out.

What say you?
    - JB

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Default Re: Screen Real Estate - "Auto Hide"

I'm with you and I posted a wish earlier on in this list suggesting that not only the design bar and project browser have autohide/transparency but that extend to the visibility/graphics, object properties and worksets dialogs. That way you can process a bunch of stuff without the open close process...over and over. That means they need to be "non-modal" and get an apply button to commit the changes.

Yeah, sounds good.
    Theres a lot of stuff like this that appears relatively easy for the programmers to add imho. I wouln't want them to get in the way of the "big picture" though.

beegee

For what its worth, you can create a keyboard shortcut for the Project Browser. The Design Bar is a different story, it only goes away once you have turned off all the tabs.

If your have a dual monitor you can pull the project browser onto the other monitor (with some limitations, but works) and you can also pull the properties dialog box over there too! It sure would be nice to do the same for the design bar, but I gained lots of real estate moving the project browser.

Y.

AUGI Addict

I think we might see an Autocad 2004 type of thing that they have with the palletes etc now, which is basically an Autohide into a little bar... very slick it is too

I think we might see an Autocad 2004 type of thing that they have with the palletes etc now, which is basically an Autohide into a little bar... very slick it is too
    It is just a personal thing, but I really don't like the palletes. They are bulky and take up too much room when they are open. The auto hide idea would really work well, becasue it is right there as soon as you need it and it is gone when you don't. The overall explore type design of the project browser, however, is really nice.

J. Giebeler

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar

1024 x 768 is not enough resolution for using Revit... some of the buttons on the options bar are very hard (sometimes impossible) to see, and sometimes you can't see all the options on the design bar when all the drawers are turned on.

Bit of a problem, that.

Since many laptops only run at XGA, I would like to see this fixed.

I don't like the palette solution much either. Once they get the palette thing going program designers have a tendency to go palette crazy. Before you know it everything is on a palette and the interface gets a bit chaotic. My vote is for one or two of the most used item to have well placed Auto-hide bars.

All AUGI, all the time janunson's Avatar

I have 2 monitors and i find that the pallates don't really work well on a second monitor. You have to stretch the window over to the second monitor because the design bars don't un-dock, and the project browser window will un-dock but won't allow itself to be placed on the other monitor unless the right 10 pixels are on the main monitor. I would love to see floating, transparent pallates to contain the design bar. I've also tried docking the project browser above/below the design bar, but without any scrolling ability on the design bar, it doesn't take long to find the limits of this layout.