Thread: Railing Plan Visibility

Login to Give a bone

I have this balustrade going all around this house - a lot of it (that's what they want!). The plan view snap shot is in hidden line and the railing still has so many lines due to the railing profiles. I would like the railing just to have two lines. Using linework would be a monumental task. Is there anyway to affect the plan visibility of a railing, like with a family?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Railing Plan Visibility

You could use the linework tool set to invisible, use the tab key as you hover over the railing until the entire railing highlights, then click. You could use linework, although I prefer details lines, for the next step. Draw the detail lines for the railing edges and lock them to the (now invisible) railing.

The above explanation assumes you have other railing objects that are displaying as you want them to. If the "fancy" ones are the only ones in the project, you could lock detail lines to the sides of the railing and then turn railing visibility off in the plan views.

Hope that helps.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks - are you saying that I can highlite an entire rail and use linework to turn all the rail lines invisible at once? I've never been able to do that, I've only been able to pick individual lines with the linework tool and I have more than 500 individual lines I have to pick. If I can do the entire rail at once I would like to know how to do that. Otherwise I like your idea of turning the rail visibility off and using detail lines.

Login to Give a bone

Henry

Try this....

Use the linework tool to trace off the outside lines only of the railing, then in Visibility/Graphics override the rails element of the Railings group to use a white line instead of the <by category> colour.

That should achieve what you are looking for, but it will also affect all of your stairs, internal landings and so on. A filled region may be quicker.

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Henry,

I've found that by invoking the linework tool, then hovering over the railing, then hitting the tab key repeatedly, the individual lines will highlight one by one until, at some magic moment, the entire object highlights. I personally use this quite a bit to hide skylights that mysteriously show up in plans. I am assuming it will work for railings as well.