Thread: File naming and file location

All AUGI, all the time Max Lloyd's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default File naming and file location

Hi Guys,

I feel sure this has been covered before, but several searches have come up with nothing. Please point me in the right direction if any one knows of a previous thread.

How do people deal with the naming and location of their project files?

It's really the same old problems I used to have with Acad, and never got a really 'bullet proof' system. The main issue I have is people trying to find old drawings, identify what the current file is, and having a system that points them to the correct file that they need.

Typically in ACAD, I used a system whereby the file name would represent the numbers and revision letter of the drawings within the file. Eg: file name would be - 200a-201b-202d.dwg etc etc. I then have a 'superseded' folder where the older files get moved into.

This works fine except when there are lots of drawings within one file (file name get very long) and except where the drawing is linked to another file (you have to keep reloading the new file as the revision letters changes) This was always the same in Acad, especially where x-refs were involved.

I have seen examples whereby people keep a folder for current work and the project file is simply called 'latest project file', or words to that affect. Is it then the case that at a point of issue (or printing?) that that file then gets saved somewhere else and renamed? How do people then know which file to open to find a specific drawing?

Anyone care to share a great system I could adopt?

Max.

I could stop if I wanted to Shaun v Rooyen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: File naming and file location

Max, we like to keep it simple.
    Project No. - Project Name.rvt, filed in project dir.
    Every time a major revision is done (once say every 2 weeks) batch export to dwg/pdf, zip as Revision No. Those are backed up,and we continue, same file, same name.
    We keep our central files at 50-80 "number of backups." and in 3 years I think we have only had to go back maybe twice to retrieve something old or compare.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Zeds. Sure is simple.

Do you not get instances where you want to go back to a previous version of the design, but are unable to as that info is pdf or dwg?

I could stop if I wanted to Shaun v Rooyen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.72186
    Thanks Zeds. Sure is simple.

Do you not get instances where you want to go back to a previous version of the design, but are unable to as that info is pdf or dwg?
    Max, we haven't had to do that in a very long time. I call it Progressive Design. It is possible, our designs were actually **** to begin with, and as we progress we refine, to a point of "Divine Creation". (just Kiddin')

If at any point we think we might need to come back to something, we either create the design option, or place it on a workset and switch it off. But that is so seldom.

As and when we took on Revit we literally threw out all the old systems, and simplified all.
    Having said that though we also subscribed to a backup service, that took away the unnecessary admin in filing. Backups run every three hours, and an off-site takes place every night, and is kept for 30-60 days depending on the project. So we could, if needed roll back.

Login to Give a bone

I like it. Seems straightforward to me. Thanks for the advice.

Login to Give a bone

I have started to follow a method similar to Zed's.
    I have the current file which I workout of and when revisions are issued, or the project moves on to another phase (SD to DD) PDF's are created of the revision or set and saved into their own folder along with a copy of the Revit file. This way I know exactly what the changes were by looking at the PDF's and I have a copy of the Revit file in case the project gets rolled back or whatever.

Login to Give a bone

Ok. I'm working on a system now similar to what both of you have mentioned having a central 'current file' within a folder called 'drawings in development'.

There will be an additional folder set up within 'drawings in development' called 'superseded options' to give an option to save the revit files as you go (I'm just too worried about needing or wanting to go back to previous designs). I think that frequency to save to this folder will be at the discretion of the operator. DANGER DANGER

When issuing a drawing, print to pdf . The pdf is filed in a separate folder called 'issued drawings' and takes on the drawing number and revision letter of the drawing it represents. To keep this file from getting too confusing, there will be a separate folder within called 'previous issued drawings' where all but the current set of issued pdf's will go.

There is a separate folder for the excell documents we create called 'drawing issue sheets'. This is obviously filled in any time a new revsion is created as a pdf and is a record of all the drawings we have, where, when and how they were issued

A couple of questions.

Would you then have a separate folder for dwg exports for contractors / consultants (presuming you don't just issue them the pdf file?) or do they get saved into the same 'issued' folder, as well as a pdf of the same drawing?

How do you deal with images? Are these treated in the same way as a drawing, ie: the file name is given a drawing number that is then recorded on an issue sheet? Do most people 'capture' renders so that they can be put on a title sheet and subsequently tracked, or simply exported to jpg?

What about movie files and pan files?

Login to Give a bone

Max, the system I think I will use (just starting out in Revit) is based on the type of folder systems that I used whilst contracting as a technician in London (for a number of years recently - working on AutoCAD mind you). Similar directories worked well for some of the larger firms who need decent generic systems between offices (notably RMJM, Broadway Malyan & WATG that you may recognise - N.B. I am back in NZ now) so it should be well tested?.

I dont have the folder list with me to create an image of but basically it could work something like this;

X:1234-ProjectName where X is a designated project drive & 1234 the project number.

01-Admin with sub-folders for contract documents, fees, client briefs, contact lists, general correspondence etc.

02-Archive empty folder where old files that are no longer necessary can be put (to be archived periodically by office cad manager? to free up space).

03-Check-In separate consultant's sub-folders in here where all received drawings are kept (each package of dwgs received also stored in further sub-folders with yyyy-mm-dd-descript format)

04-Issued all issued dwgs stored here in sub- folders with yyyy-mm-dd-IssueDescript format - usually pdf's & .dwgs (zipped), along with completed issue record sheet (also pdf).

05-ProjectLibrary any project specific blocks (families) stored here (title sheets, custom items, specific render materials perhaps?)

06-Model Current Revit model to be kept here with a superseded sub folder for significant stage files (prefixed with date of superseding) inside.

07-Graphics All images, photos etc to be kept here inside dated & named sub-folders (renderings, site photos etc)

As I haven't started using Revit fully yet I am unsure if this will need to be further adapted but it should be reasonably ok? I presume worksets etc can be managed in the Model folder easily enough? (Model folder used to be separate BaseDwgs and PlotSheets folders with the AutoCAD xref / paperspace type system!).

Hope this helps... I can post an expanded folder list to clarify further (if I can find it at home) if you like. Although my laptop which it is definitely on is off getting fixed at the moment!.

Cheers

Login to Give a bone

Hey Kurk

Thanks for that. I realise some people may be kind of protective of these systems, so thanks for being so open.

Thats pretty much the direction I was headed (I think!)

At the moment my drawing office consists of just 4 of us, and whilst that seems pretty small, since I joined, even with that number, its abundantly clear that our current lack of system is causing problems. I have recently changed office and am trying to pick up the pieces from the previous 'cad manager' (very loose description!)

I haven't been specifically employed here as a cad manager, but have previous experience of it, and have found it difficult not to be taking the lead in this area. I set up all the standards and directory structures in my previous office which expanded up to about 15 cad guys & Gals by the time I left.

It worked well, but here in my new office, as it is relatively small, we have the golden opportunity to convert to 100% Revit. And as such, I thought that a new system of storage may be required.

I will be adopting something very similar to what you have described, so again, thanks very much for the input, and good luck with life down in NZ. A bit quieter than London, but hey, I bet thats nice!

I could stop if I wanted to Simon.Whitbread's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Now that we've got our first projects underway, the file naming of PROJECT files has been well established, as had the procedure for workset descriptions.
    The first takes the project number followed by an indicator for worksets.
    I.e : 205000-CENTRAL.rvt
    Local files are then named with the users initials on C:
    Here in NZ we typically use the CBI classification system (similar to CiSFB) and the is how worksets have been organized:
    10 General
    20 Site
    30 Structure ....
    In the past our CAD Library folder system has followed the same labeling, but this doesn't match the way Revit operates- especially when sorting objects into like categories.
    My question is: how are any of you NAMING family objects. Especially those who are working on larger projects where several hundred families probably wouldn't be out of the ordinary, you must have some sort of naming convention and folder structure for your library parts.
    I've had the suggestion that the family part of the project browser should have filtering enabled - that way 3D Structural objects could be displayed along side 2D Structural. Personally, its not a big issue for me but if we were working on a multi-million dollar project, that list could potentially be come very long.
    I'd appreciate any comments anyone has.

Cheers

Simon