See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Display Order

Login to Give a bone

Default Display Order

Is there any way to control the display order of drafting views on a sheet. Here is my dilemma. I have created a metal stud detail component which is an elevation view of a stud about 4' in length. I don't always need 4' length of stud for all details but for some I do. On the details which I don't need the whole length I use a break line to "white" out the unused portion of the stud. When I place this drafting view on my detail sheet the white portion of the break line covering my stud also whites out the drafting view that is located closer to the top sheet. Any suggestions?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Display Order

I can't answer the display order question... but maybe there's a different way to address the issue?

Have you tried changing the size of the viewport of the drafting view on your sheet? After placing the view on your sheet, select it and go View Menu > Activate View. Then change the viewport size as desired. Then go View Menu > Deactive View.

One of my pet peeves is that there isn't a Crop Region for Detail Views.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're doing, but here's my best guess.

It sounds like you are just using a filed region to hide a part of the drafting view. Since drafting views don't crop, the filled region is always present. Then when placed on a sheet the views overlap.

First - don't do that. The stud should be created parametrically so that each view can have it's own stud length. Then you don't have to use the filled region at all. The filled region in this instance is just bad practice.

Secondly, views have a display order based on the order they are put on the sheet. Put the filled region view on first, then other views placed later will overlap that one. Not easy to do in practice.

You'll see the attached has grip adjustable length. Top and bottom break line controls. And Face/Side controls. And Transparent/Opaque control. Make your families smart and save big time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    First - don't do that. The stud should be created parametrically so that each view can have it's own stud length. Then you don't have to use the filled region at all. The filled region in this instance is just bad practice.
    This is good advice. FOLLOW it. Keep your filled regions / break line detail components as small as possible. There are visibility problems on sheets if they overlap something else.

For metal studs in elevation I've just created a metal stud punch out to show metal studs in elevation / section. No flexing required. Just place and move on. I'll typically use a detail line, or a flexible gypsum bd. detail component to show the sides.