Thread: Daylighting and Indirect Lighting in Rendered View

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question Daylighting and Indirect Lighting in Rendered View

I am working on an interior view inside the Lobby of a building and have two light sources that are not giving me desired results, see attached for example.

I am doing an "interior" view, but sunlight from the windows on the exterior wall is not showing in the view and also the indirect light source that I have used around my ceiling bulkhead is "barely" lighting up the ceiling.

Any suggestions that may help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Daylighting and Indirect Lighting in Rendered View

Did you define the windows as daylights using the Daylight tool?

Login to Give a bone

Peace,

first of all, do you have view range enabled? I would disable it. then check to see where your sun is coming from, you can do it by view, or by rendering setting. Also, I would use the "daylight" feature in the rendering and select each window that the light is supposed to come in from.

The ceiling pendants are indeed not too strong...did you check the lumens, etc? Also, did you know that you can increase the "dimming" of each non-daylight light? You can set the lights from 1 to 2.

If increasing the lumens and increasing the "dimming" doesn't work, then there might be something not working fully with the family of the light fixture used, but from the rendering it seems like they are working just fine, just not strong enough. You can also make the ceiling material more shiny, maybe more reflective, this will receive the light better.

Another suggestion, if it is worth the time, is to radiate the file. This will make your light stronger and more realistic. And it doesn't seem to be a complex (many polygons) scene, so the radiate shouldn't take too long. I would go through 2 or 3 times the "steps" of the default radiate.

Before radiating it though, make sure that the light fixture shed more light.

I would change at least the beige matierial on the floor to be more pixelated (more noise). and depending on the black and white material, I would change that also to be a more realistic material. Definetely the rendering will look immediately better when the daylight comes through the windows...

Take care and be patient!!!!

Peace,

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Daylighting and Indirect Lighting in Rendered View

Aaron,

That's what that command is for.!!.... I tried it in 3D view and couldn't figure out what it did... now in plan view it allowed me to selct the windows to allow daylight through... nice feature.

Any idea how to get indirect lights to light up the ceiling better?

My valances have 9 flourescent lights along each side and it isn't washing the ceiling...???

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Daylighting and Indirect Lighting in Rendered View

Quote Originally Posted by luigi

first of all, do you have view range enabled?
    Where is this "view range" setting found?

Also, did you know that you can increase the "dimming" of each non-daylight light? You can set the lights from 1 to 2.
    I didn't know that, I changed the dimming from 1 to 2 now.

I would change at least the beige matierial on the floor to be more pixelated (more noise). and depending on the black and white material, I would change that also to be a more realistic material.
    Where can I find more "relaistic" materials? I am using the accurender materials that come with Revit.

THX

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by artitech
    Where is this "view range" setting found?
    Check the view properties of the 3d view and it is found in the lower part (just like sections and elevations) under the "extents" part, named Far Clip Active, just disable it...

Quote Originally Posted by artitech
    Where can I find more "relaistic" materials? I am using the accurender materials that come with Revit.
    Have you visited www.accustudio.com, under exchange there are some materials, but also you can create your own with an image, and there are tons of images under exchange-texture.

Sorry I didn't respond yesterday but I had to leave immediately after I noticed your post (it was around 21:30 )
    Last edited by luigi; 2005-10-25 at 09:13 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Daylighting and Indirect Lighting in Rendered View

Well I took the advice but never had time for this one to find better material textures, I've attached one of the views ... we have a deadline today so these have to do.

I'll have another opportunity on this project to show it off at which time we want to do a walkthrough as well.

THX.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hey there,

I just saw your post. Nice rendering. I know your deadline has come and gone; however, as far at the lighting in your recessed ceiling area soffit.... As a test, try using a material which is not so reflective. I have seen this before and when I changed the material to a "white" ceiling, the ceiling lit up better. I suspect that may be a factor.

Secondly, I would look at the mounting height of the lights relative to the ceiling height. Maybe the lights just need to be lowered a bit. I also like using the sideways mounted strip lights rather than ceiling mounted in order to get better light throw. (I am sure the family's parametric properties have something to do with it too.)

Good luck
    Steve