Thread: Best practice for Head, Jamb & Sill Door details?

I could stop if I wanted to Griff's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

What is the best procedure to create a door detail sheet? In ADT I use to draw the details and just place them on a sheet. Well Revit has so much more ability I'm sure this is a simple process. I took a section through the door in plan view, this works great for giving me the head and the sill views so I can detail them, but how do you get a jamb view?

I'm not sure if what I have done so far is the best practice or how others are doing this. Thanks for the help

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best practice for Head, Jamb & Sill Door details?

Use a call out from your plan or a duplicate plan view and work it over with the relevant linework, filled regions and detail components.

I could stop if I wanted to Griff's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you Peter, I'm all over it.
    I was thinking that might be the way, but I wasn't sure if those of you that have done several projects in Revit have found other or better ways. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

New in 6.0 you can also place a detail section type which will cut your jamb and "look" down or up depending which way you select. That way you can add your detail mark on a typical door elevation detail.

Also as Aaron Rumple has suggested (maybe Wes too?)...putting door and windows and such in a wall that are all in a "Project Standards" phase in "front" of all other phases will allow you to document them there and keep them out of a schedule etc.

Login to Give a bone

Griff,

We have found that working with door details (and other similar types), using the callout/detail section works the best. Initially we had been drawing the detail (or importing ACAD) into a drafting view. But many mistakes later we have realized that drawing over the model generated views allows changes to be realized before the drawings go out the door. We either trace the model or use linework filled regions and detal componants as required just like peter recommended.

Its strange, look at some of our early Revit projects and there were 50+ drafting views and less than 10 sections/elevations. Current projects have 20-25 sections and 10-15 drafting views(almost all site details referenced from Autocad).

Login to Give a bone

A word of caution, if the door or window that you detail is a typical one and repeats throughout the job and you do the detail with "live sections and callouts" and then move or delete the door, you've got a problem. Not a big one you will have to copy paste all the detail items to the new location. For typ. door and window details I use our typical details in drafting views and then use the callout ref. view tool to callout the details, this way if the door moves I just have to move the tag.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK