Thread: Corner Mullion Strategy

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Corner Mullion Strategy

Assuming, of course, that I do not care at all about all the fine detail in the attached clip (one detail at 1 1/2" scale from a recent project and one shamelessly lifted from Kawneer), what is the best general strategy to get these corners to look correct?

I have shamelessly stolen Mr. Read's demonstration and have everything looking correct generally but still need a mullion. Link below was very useful and I am in Mr. Read's debt for a great tip.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...Corner+Mullion

In the interest of creating accurate plan detail directly from the model rather than imported from an AutoCAD library (which I am seriously reluctant to encourage), is there any method I can use to get something closely approximating the attached clip? I am perfectly content to add all the detail components. I would at least like something that will look correct in 1/4" views, give an accurate 3D view from the interior, and be close enough in plan that I can add detail components eventually.

I am aware this is heresy, but I could get this to work (albeit with a lot of effort and totally impossible to teach most users) in ADT since 3.0 (second clip). Any great suggestions?

Thanks,
    PBR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by phyllisr; 2005-11-01 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Added Second Clip

I could stop if I wanted to eldad's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Corner Mullion Strategy

do you want to have a vertical mullion? why can't you create a profile for your corner mullion? that's what I would do...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Because corner mullions, unlike rectangular mullions, do not have a profile option. This was my first thought. Other posts on this issue. Seems to be a wish list item.

PBR

Login to Give a bone

Column family with the detail components loaded in.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Assume I can make this work. My next step was considering this curtain wall application for an actual window in residential condo work or ribbon windows in spec office buildings (or other). Just to avoid trying to make a family for a corner. Particularly with condo and apartment work, is there a way to tag this curtain wall as a "window?" Have not gotten that far yet but if you have an answer, you can save me some additional investigating and hopefully help me avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks.
    PBR

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by phyllisr
    ...is there a way to tag this curtain wall as a "window?"...
    Curtain walls as a whole can not be tagged in an elevation view, where we typically would want to tag them. They can be tagged in plans like other walls.

Curtain wall panels can be tagged however. If you tag one and pretend the one panel identifies the whole that might work. You'd just need to make sure the value matches the wall tag that might get placed in a plan.

Further, curtain wall panels can be swapped out for other walls including other curtain walls. You could make one large curtain wall with just the outside frame. Then assign another curtain wall as the default panel using the pattern options for either the storefront or Exterior Glazing wall styles. Then when you tag the curtain wall you can tag the panels and it will in effect tag the smaller assembly in the larger.

The attached is a storefront curtain wall style using a 5w x 10h grid and assigned to use another storefront curtain wall as a panel, using a 1x1 grid.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-11-01 at 04:02 AM.