Thread: Rendering Montage

Login to Give a bone

Default Rendering Montage

Okay so what is the preferred method for rendering with the intent to place the rendering over an image of the site? I took a high-res photo of the site today, basically just a field with some trees in the middle, and the building is going in front of the trees. I have a model of the building, with the intended parking lot and sidewalks as floor slabs in front of the building.

Now if I render with a background color, I believe I will have to erase around the model elements in photoshop. I also won't have anything reflecting in the windows. I also tried rendering with a background color other than white (like blue) and got a solid blue reflection on the windows. I tried rendering with a ground plane turned on, which gave me a more acceptable reflection in the windows, but I still think I will have to erase around the edges of the building image in photoshop.

Perhaps I should go ahead and model the ground as a floor slab and add some trees to get suitable reflections in the windows and just deal with erasing around the building in photoshop? Any suggestions would help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rendering Montage

Use the photo as the background image and turn on the clouds etc, and make the 2 color sky using the same colors as the sky in the photo. this will give you failry realistic reflections.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Oh, I thought it would be better to do it in Photoshop... how do I otherwise adjust the size of the rendered building relative to the landscape image?

I could stop if I wanted to Merlin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    Oh, I thought it would be better to do it in Photoshop... how do I otherwise adjust the size of the rendered building relative to the landscape image?
    In Revit, you do it the other way round. When you use an imported image, you can "stretch" and place the background image as you need for the raytraced scene.

I don't have Revit in front of me as I type this so I can't immediately tell you what the path is to do this but offhand I think the options for adusting the background image in relation to the render scene is below the browse and path for the image.
    HTH
    John Mc

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

A good way to perspective match is to place an object in your scene that you can fairly well determine its location on the photo you are trying to montage into. The one I usually use is a traffic sign or telephone pole. I render the image with that pole, then match using the image "transform" commands in Photoshop. In Max you simply place the photo montage in the background of the view and move the camera until it matches, but you still need a known size object to be accurate. Also, you'll need to split your site photo into layers, - foreground/background (in Photoshop) then place your rendering in between these layers.

With Revit you can place a background image in the render, but if you have to blend this in, its really easy for me just to render the model without a background image so you can cut into the site photo using Photoshop.

As far as the sky/surroundings go, edit your glass material, and add the surrounding image you want to show in your buildings glass to the glass definition. You'll need to tweak the amount of transparency of both the glass and the bitmap applied to the glass to get the effect you want. One of the most import aspects of this though is be sure you increase the size of the bitmap to like a 100 or 120 (versus 0.8 )so the image will "jump" from glass to glass and not repeat itself.
    Same applies to the sky if you want that effect.

This image is simply the background image (yes in Revit) rendered, and the background image applied to the glass of the building at 120 scale, then cut into the same background image.
    Last edited by SkiSouth; 2005-11-21 at 02:59 AM.

Login to Give a bone

can you update this post for 2011 as the vairable controls have changed.

I'm having great difficulty trying to get reflective or frosted glass to not look blue (from the sky) but rather a white frosty cloudy look. Background images and solid colours don't want to reflect anything. Having an image over the whole of the glass face seems like the perfect solution. It's just getting those variables right for scale and opacity.

Has anyone done any experimentation with this as it seems like a trial an error exercise to get it looking right... a very time consuming exercise!