Thread: REVIT AND EXCEL

Login to Give a bone

INTER
    I may have broached this issue before, I use an Excel Structural Spread sheet template that generates schedules. What I do now is export my excel (.xl)spreadsheets one at a time into ADT using Toolpac's Excel2Cad utility. the process is time consuming and the resulting schedule many times does not transfer cleanly requiring editing.
    I would like to be able to convert to a PDF or BMP file , or other format acceptable to Revit.
    I am looking for any other suggested ways to do this....
    Respectfully
    Don Watts

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: REVIT AND EXCEL

If you just want to get the excel printed image into a Revit view, here's one method.

Go to pdf995.com & download the free pdf print driver & also the pdfedit utility for converting a pdf file to jpg. Install the software.

Print your excell document using pdf995 as the print driver. Start up pdfedit, & convert the resultant pdf file to a jpg. Then import the jpg into revit.

That's the freeware version, & unless you cough up $9.95+, you'll have to put up with the html pop-ups.

There are other print driver$ around that will print the doc directly to jpg.

Login to Give a bone

Are you using Excel to calc. Sizes of structural members? I would love it if Revit would allow one to take a structural schedule export it into Excel add the calculations per size provided directly out of Revit. Then feed that information back into Revit via a type catalog. The problem with this is that Type catalogs can not be updated once the family is loaded into Revit. While this is by far not a fool proof method it would provide for a more intelligent schedule then a PDF image. On that note I too use PDF995 and it works very well especially at the price point.

I could stop if I wanted to Paul Monsef's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You know...Someone mentioned the "possibility" of linking DWF's into Revit 6.1.

This would be one of the MANY examples of how a tool, like that, would make my life a lot easier.

Login to Give a bone

It would really be great if excel schedules could be linked interactively to revit, since my results need to be updated as a project progresses, ...
    I use templates that are from Archforms,
    the company provides vertical load analysis and seismic/wind analysis that is customizable to all the US building codes.
    My schedules are then keyed to my plans and cross reference to the specific engineering calc for the wall or member size..
    (example :wall a1-16 refers to schedule and calc sheet for the wall or member.)
    Not being a programmer, I would hope the the all powerful REVIT wizard would ponder the possibilities.