See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Adding a rebar component to footings

Login to Give a bone

Default Adding a rebar component to footings

I'm new here so forgive me for asking the stupid questions.
    I've place some isolated footings from the ootb template. I went to modify the family to create a new family for the size. I'd like to be able to list the rebar size and qty in the families for extraction into a schedule. (I haven't played with much of this stuff yet, but I have gotten a half way decent model).
    So I was a little confused when I didn't see something like Footing Schedule. And the one structural foundation schedule I found didn't have a spot for thickness.
    Any help on the topic would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Last edited by david_peterson; 2005-11-17 at 07:09 PM.

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding a rebar component to footings

One way would be to add a parameter to the schedule. Go to the fields tab of the schedule properties and click the Add Parameter... button above the Calculated Value... button. Give it a Name such as Reinforcement, leave Discipline as Common, Text for Type, Group parameter under will organize it under whichever header you choose in the members properties dialog. And you would probably want to create it as a type parameter. This will get you a field in the schedule to hold the information you want and can be edited in the schedule or by right clicking on the footing and selecting edit/new next to the type (if you made it a type parameter).

Login to Give a bone

So I can't just put the info in the family. I have to give the thickness for the footing there, that where I think it gets the length and width from. Now it sounds like I have to list it for the family and for the instance. While I'm putting in the thickness for our typical "Mark = F4.0 size=4'-0"x4'-0"x1'-0" thick with <A href="mailto:#4@12"oc">#4@12"oc EW BOT. Why can't I get a schedule to pull this info from the family? I hate to say this, but it works ADT. On another rant of the day, when I created my Graphical Column schedule from the ootb template, it shows the col, the location, the top and bottom elevations, but NOT the size . What the heck am I doing wrong here? Please tell me I just missed one of those little check boxes some where.

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

I think we're saying the same thing. I've attached some screen shots that may better illustrate the procedure I was trying to outline. Once this is set up you can edit the information by editing your footing or the schedule and it will update every instance of that particular footing. This is a quicky sample so please forgive the formatting.

With regards to the column schedule I believe you just need to tag all not tagged. We are currently still generating our own schedule by hand due to lack of formatting and grouping options with the current tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Andersen; 2005-11-17 at 08:05 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the help on that. I have but one more question on the topic. Which tag did you use for getting the mark? And I guess, how did you modify it? Our typical office stardard is to call out footings by square size. ie and F4.0 footing is alway 4'x4'. For rectangular ones we always use longest side, and then add an A,B or C or whatever to seperate them from the square ones.

Thanks in advance.

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

We leave the delivered content intact and have a separate content area for our custom families. That being said our procedure was to copy the Structure Foundation Tag.rfa located at the following path: Imperial Library\Annotations\Structral and renamed and saved it in our custom area. Open the family and right click on the text. In the Element Properties box we simply changed the Label from Type to Type Mark and saved the family. Then all you have to do is go to Settings->Annotations->Loaded Tags... and load your new tag family. Now whatever you type in the Type Mark Field will display when you tag the component with this tag.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks again. I might just figure this out someday