Thread: MAYA & Studio Tools Tools for Revit, now that Autodesk is acquiring it.

I could stop if I wanted to robmorfin's Avatar

Default MAYA & Studio Tools Tools for Revit, now that Autodesk is acquiring it.

Per the November 2005 Cadalyst Magazine article " Autodesk acquires Alias..." page #12, Autodesk signed an agreement to acquire Alias within 4 to 6 months.

"Alias products will transition to the Autodesk brand over time....", Inventor and 3DSMax are mentioned but NOT Revit, I hope everybody involved in Revit Developing will make their best effort bringing some of those tools into Revit, and we all can stop begging for a not as good Accurender or VIZ or asking for MAX or Rhino organic modeling tools.

Vote for MAYA for Revit Users.

Default Re: MAYA & Studio Tools Tools for Revit, now that Autodesk is acquiring it.

If you're talking about nurbs and modeling tools then there might be something for us to get from Maya, but it you're talking about Maya's renderer we don't need it. Maya's big time renderer is Mental Ray, which Autodesk already licenses for Max, Viz, and Inventor, and has already talked about adding to other products. While every product in the Autodesk lineup would love to be next one, can you think of a better candidate than Revit to benefit from a new powerhouse rendering engine. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

Post Re: MAYA & Studio Tools Tools for Revit, now that Autodesk is acquiring it.

Yea, Revit with a decent renderer could finally achieve an overall superiority.
    Although rendering seems something secondary in an architectural package, nowadays it's the product's gallery that has a big impact. Here in Spain (I imagine also in the rest of the world) you don't present anymore a project without a decent presentation/render.

A possible customer sees Revit's gallery and thinks "Man, if this program has such a poor render engine, what is to be expected from the rest?". This possible customer most probably will not stumble across the "I, robot" scenes designed with Revit buried deep inside a forum related to the product, but on a total different page.

As far as I think, Revit it's quite dis equilibrated. Top BIM performance with difficult, less than mediocre rendering engine.

And as far as I know the strength of a chain equals the strength of its weakest link.
    Last edited by A3D; 2005-11-26 at 05:20 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to jspartz's Avatar

Default Re: MAYA & Studio Tools Tools for Revit, now that Autodesk is acquiring it.

Wow! I had to double check there and it IS on Alias's website that it is a deal now for $182 million, they are being acquired within the next 4 months. I had no idea. The two worlds now unite! Maya and 3D Studio MAX, and wonder what will become of the two. But, I doubt they will be putting the Maya rendering engine inside of Revit. That's like giving away $5,000 per copy they sell.

I could stop if I wanted to robmorfin's Avatar

It's been bought, check

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=5970886

Wow, also check out the alias website

http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/product...t_families.jsp
    http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/product...t_families.jsp

now it reads "Autodesk formerly Alias".
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2006-01-20 at 08:28 AM. Reason: removed html code

I would just be happy to get Alias' FBX file format as an export option for Revit. Then you could use just about any rendering program you'd like.