See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Start an As-Built Layout showing all facilities and services

All AUGI, all the time Richard McDonald's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to Start an As-Built Layout showing all facilities and services

Quote Originally Posted by Holceste25
    Hi to all,

Now how do you think I can manage to control the large no. of growing layers on the Master Plan that comprise of 15-different x-ref files overlaid to one another and the layers is almost 850 so far? Is it possible to create a revised unique name of layers? or how can I reduce to at least 50%? Is it possible?

Ted
    (Auto-CAD 2005 user).
    If its just a matter of finding the right layer within the 850 layers there I would recommend using the layer filter manager. By using alot of xrefs it also means you dont need to create any filters. I find that using the xref part with the invert filter (on/off) and apply to layers toolbar there is little need to create filters and slow everything down.

Richard

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: How to Start an As-Built Layout showing all facilities and services

Hi Richard,

Thank you and I appreciate your advice. I agree that filtering layers is the solution especially when we are working on the composite drawing files coming from different source and different standard perspective.

Thats why Creating, Managing and Implementing CAD standards are very important especially now a days of global sharing.

Ted

Login to Give a bone

I would ask "What is the goal of your efforts? Is it just to have a central database for all your drawings? Or should you be thinking more along the lines of intelligent objects in your drawings that can be linked to a database. I am currently setting up our facility of about 1Mil. sq. ft. in FM Desktop. I am not planning on using it for space management - things change too fast. I will be using it for equipment and utility tracking - electrical panels, fire protection, both interior and exterior. Anyone in a similar situation??

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by richard.tobin
    I would ask "What is the goal of your efforts? Is it just to have a central database for all your drawings? Or should you be thinking more along the lines of intelligent objects in your drawings that can be linked to a database. I am currently setting up our facility of about 1Mil. sq. ft. in FM Desktop. I am not planning on using it for space management - things change too fast. I will be using it for equipment and utility tracking - electrical panels, fire protection, both interior and exterior. Anyone in a similar situation??
    Richard, I would be using such a model for the same uses.
    only no real backing on it yet.

I'd really appreciate if you could keep some notes on how your rollout goes... benefits (known and unexpected), roadblocks, things that were easy, things that were hard.

I have a hard time finding out about implementations because most are done by consultants who can't/won't/whatever share the implementation stories, so I have nothing 'real world' to take to my upper management.

Good luck!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Is any though going into using Map3D as a front end? I think it might be easier to manage the number of drawings, layers, and areas by using drawing sets, and the ability of Map to add additional data and link to database systems ought to be an advantage. The Map Books feature ought to help get consistent prints of your dataset as well, and has got to be easier to maintain that hundreds of view and layouts.

I'm just winging it here, but the more I play around with Map, the more useful it seems. After all, it's not just a GIS, it's CAD as well.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: How to Start an As-Built Layout showing all facilities and services

I think you can do this. Prepare a set of master base drawings. Those will be your xrefs. Then use a layer naming convention wish is familiar to users. I will recomend National CAD Standards. I recomend also you to be the one in charge of making the up-dates. And, even when those base drawing could be used for another purpose, keep your sheet files for your own, your responsibility. At FM sometimes people love to play around with proposals. You must create a process in wish when people is working in planning or proposalas they may adquiere you base plans but keep them in a proyect folder or binding them within their proposals, and only make the changess when they are oficial. If you know LISP at a basic level,like me, you should be able to create a code to freeze and thaw your layers. you can asign 1 to mechanical, 2 for electrical, 3 for light fixtures, etc. Get dwf viewer for all the people you think might be interested on having access to your drawings. As soon you make an up-date you must issue a DWF file to keep all data updated. The thing with DWF is that the end users then should have to turn the layers ON and OFF and with all those disciplines in one single format could be a real headache. Maybe another solution is to use diferent layouts in one single file. As you know, you can asign wish layer you want at a view port. That way you can have various disciplines. THe DWF user can then select wish layout they want to see. That will eliminate the need of working with layers in the DWF viewer.

Also you can create a layout with some graphics with the name of each discipline. THen make a hyperlink to each of the graphics to the layout they belong. I'm not sure if hyperlinks works on DWFs but it will be great to try that. You can have a graphic interface that will take you to each drawing. Remenver to save you DWG in the interface layout so that will be the default layout on the DWF viewer. You can also make them available at an intranet.
    Last edited by musico20002000; 2007-02-13 at 06:20 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hi
    I agree with you. An when consultants do share their stories, all of them are successful ones.

Login to Give a bone

Well, I'll certainly share both kinds of stories - find me at AU for that discussion.

To the thread topic, the key words are "as-built layout". We all get updates from new construction, remodeling, use changes, moves, etc.. it is a matter of identifying what you're going to call "as-built" and incorporating those changes into your master files. For me, the term is applied to any drawing that I have actually field verified. Here comes an update from a contractor, I grab a tape/disto and head for the area. Is it correct? Is everything present and accounted for? Good to go? Great, lets update that area into our as-builts. Establish a process and plan the resources into your project up-front. Many contractors and consultants can give you a simple cost per sq. ft. guideline for this.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned here is file management. The simple things like creating a standard for naming your facility drawings and organizing the files and folders by property, building, and floor pay off over and over again.

To answer the comment before it's said: This is one part of FM you need to make time for, or you'll be spending money every time you want up to date information about your own buildings.

-Robert

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: How to Start an As-Built Layout showing all facilities and services

When I started the thread, I used the term as-built layout because I am trying to establish an electronic drawing base on old blue print and the actual layout of the structures as reference but the main aspect of this discussion is how to create and manage a Complex Project as I mentioned earlier and almost every one agree that x-referencing one file to the other is the way to go further.

Robert mentioned about File Management I think any one has preference on how to setup Master File to fit your needs. Since there are no limits on numbers of files x-ref to a single master file I fell comfortable of setting as much as I fell comfortable as setting in a console of hundreds of switches rather than create more console next room to make it a bite size chuck as Beldin mentioned on the later part of this discussion. Sometimes I agree, but remember you can unload all if needed and turn-off all unused layers and make changes to any one of all the files that are x-ref to the subject master files one at a time and the master plan will update accordingly once you reload the file.

The only frustration that I encounter if you lost the link for many reason accidentally change the original name of the file or move it to other location or the file was corrupted for any reason and when you send electronic copy of what you setup in the layout page of the master plan might lost the link on others.

Any more feed backs to share your own success or frustration is highly appreciated until someday we can create a self suffeceint way of managing a complex files.

Thanks,

Ted (AutoCAD-2007 user)
    Last edited by Detsenira; 2008-01-01 at 04:42 AM.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I would tackle this project by aiming to produce a single drawing. If multiple drawings are used it will become increasingly difficult to co-ordinate the details. Small sections can be printed as required (use view ports from paper space).

Each system would be drawn on it's own layer so it could be turned on or off as required. Using layers in this way means that you do not need to worry about excessive complexity.

I hope this helps

Aled Taylor
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2010-02-13 at 08:20 PM. Reason: removed off-topic link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12