See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inverted Background

All AUGI, all the time Roger Evans's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Inverted Background

Just experimenting & searching for tweaks to presentation styles I tried out switching to invert background colour for a change .. & revamped an old file
    I wouldn't want to work in the inverted version for long periods but after playing with this I thought it presented basic concept drawings with more impact. (All images are basic drawings)

I found standard accurender floor colours came out a bit bland so to make plans glow a bit more I altered a couple of material specifications & used pantone for floors
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger Evans; 2005-12-09 at 04:15 AM.

All AUGI, all the time ejburrell67787's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inverted Background

What goes on in the 'Great Room' Roger?

I think the black background looks good for concept presentation, quite dramatic (Welsh Winter?). Your floor colours stand out nicely too.
    Elrond Burrell, Architect

[Connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter]

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
    - Chinese Proverb

Login to Give a bone

White on black, via a rather expensive photographic process, was very popular when I was a student, particularly amongst people doing very tightly crisply detailed buildings.

Nice work, Rog.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It looks really good on screen - is it for on screen presentation only - powerpoint slides etc? Would be heavy on ink use if not! If it is for overhead projection I like the idea of not dazzling everybody with pointless white light... (probably make your lamp last longer too!)

What is the Handwriting font you have used Roger?, I really like that too - looks better than the architxt I use at the moment.
    Last edited by Martin P; 2005-12-09 at 01:28 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Martin P
    It looks really good on screen - is it for on screen presentation only - powerpoint slides etc? Would be heavy on ink use if not! If it is for overhead projection I like the idea of not dazzling everybody with pointless white light... (probably make your lamp last longer too!)

What is the Handwriting font you have used Roger?, I really like that too - looks better than the architxt I use at the moment.
    Yeah On screen only send as jpegs / powerpoint
    (Overhead projection? ~ What here? ~ You are having a laugh right?)
    I also think I wouldn't want to print it as is ~ haven't tried it but by rights the background should be ignored printing drawings & print white (yes? no?)
    Print black background possible if you print jpeg

Text is Architext I think (I'll check) Yes it is (not italic)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Evans
    Just experimenting & searching for tweaks to presentation styles I tried out switching to invert background colour for a change .. & revamped an old file
    I wouldn't want to work in the inverted version for long periods but after playing with this I thought it presented basic concept drawings with more impact. (All images are basic drawings)

I found standard accurender floor colours came out a bit bland so to make plans glow a bit more I altered a couple of material specifications & used pantone for floors
    great work Roger - very nice indeed
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Evans
    Yeah On screen only send as jpegs / powerpoint
    (Overhead projection? ~ What here? ~ You are having a laugh right?)
    I also think I wouldn't want to print it as is ~ haven't tried it but by rights the background should be ignored printing drawings & print white (yes? no?)
    Print black background possible if you print jpeg

Text is Architext I think (I'll check) Yes it is (not italic)

Yes, OHP is not something I have had any experience of either really, apart from my wife taking one from her work home for me to set up for them and having a weekend of being delighted at having a 3mx3m screen with Revit and DVDs in my kitchen ohhhhh want one of those!!!! and a cintiq tablet, and an alienware laptop, and an media centre pc uner my telly and a................

Login to Give a bone

When you said overhead projector, I thought you meant those big light boxes that my grade school teachers used with clear sheets that you write on and make funny shadow puppets with. My algebra teacher had one that you could roll the transparency across, and never have to stop to change sheets or get out the windex. She would be writing formulas with one hand and winding with the other...
    Oh, by the way, the drawings look great!! Love to see some details.

I could stop if I wanted to zanzibarbob7's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Roger. The black backgrounds seems, at first, to command attention. As Peter said, it was popular at one time. Takes a big toll of printing though.

As a rule in advertising, and it would seem to me to follow in presentation, reverse type (white type on blk), is more difficult to read. Therefore has lower retention. Same for the blk background. If one looks at the most successful advertisements it will be observed that there is simplicity throughout. Elegance that is not overwhelming. Lots of white space and simple layout.

I used to do this type of stuff for a living. A real example of misuse of flamboyant artistry is in the construction of web pages. Many architectural. So many things going on that aren't required and some so electronic that mild epileptic fits may be induced. All that before you get to what is supposed to be the meat of the site. Then it is eyestrain. Type so small you don't want to investigate further.

If you look up Ogilvy and Mather, advertising agency, you can get an idea of what elegance is. If you look at enough good layouts you will start to develop and eye for it. I would stay away from trendy stuff, like the blk background. Watch borders too. People tend to think they are needed to frame. If done right, a full bleed is much more effective. Sometimes a border says. " I couldn't think of a better way to lay things out so I included a border."

I like your stuff though!

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for taking the time & for your comment & advice

I would not suggest these should be printed & are best viewed on screen I think
    The borders were introduced when I captured the images & I agree I should have trimmed them before posting. Don't know what you mean exactly by full bleed ~ I don't have pshop so my experience is limited in this

Again thanks much appreciated

Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast