Here's the issue.
One of my users opens up a plan and one of the xrefs is unresolved. You go into Browse and select the correct path and reload it and everything is fine. But even when you save the file and reopen it, the xref is back to unresolved. No matter how I try and save the path of the xref, it is always unresolved the next time you open the file. I tried detaching the xref all together, running audit and purge, then reattaching, but the problem persists.
One more wrinkle... I think it is only on this one machine that the problem exists. I have opened the file on a few other machines and it always views fine. I don't think it is a network issue, because the user sees all his other files correctly, and the file in question finds all the other xrefs without problem.