Thread: Unresolved Xref

Login to Give a bone

Default Unresolved Xref

Here's the issue.

One of my users opens up a plan and one of the xrefs is unresolved. You go into Browse and select the correct path and reload it and everything is fine. But even when you save the file and reopen it, the xref is back to unresolved. No matter how I try and save the path of the xref, it is always unresolved the next time you open the file. I tried detaching the xref all together, running audit and purge, then reattaching, but the problem persists.

One more wrinkle... I think it is only on this one machine that the problem exists. I have opened the file on a few other machines and it always views fine. I don't think it is a network issue, because the user sees all his other files correctly, and the file in question finds all the other xrefs without problem.

Any ideas?

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Unresolved Xref

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzjr
    Here's the issue.

One of my users opens up a plan and one of the xrefs is unresolved. You go into Browse and select the correct path and reload it and everything is fine. But even when you save the file and reopen it, the xref is back to unresolved. No matter how I try and save the path of the xref, it is always unresolved the next time you open the file. I tried detaching the xref all together, running audit and purge, then reattaching, but the problem persists.

One more wrinkle... I think it is only on this one machine that the problem exists. I have opened the file on a few other machines and it always views fine. I don't think it is a network issue, because the user sees all his other files correctly, and the file in question finds all the other xrefs without problem.

Any ideas?
    I don't know offhand, but, maybe some additional details will jog someone else's memory...

What version of acad are you using? I'm assuming the drawing is residing on a server? Details about that could be pertinent. ~shrug~
    Good luck.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

I could stop if I wanted to mom of 3's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unresolved Xref

Here's the issue.

Any ideas?

Just out of curiosity.........
    go under Options, click on the Open & Save tab - what does it show as checked under the Xref section of that tab?

I could stop if I wanted to H.Hunter's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Try adding the xref path into the Project Search paths in the file options. That might fix it.

Login to Give a bone

If the xref file is located in the same folder as the drawing file that the xref is attached to, then you can save the path of the xref within the xref manager to specify the file name only. Then whne the drawing gets opened, Autocad will look in the root folder for the xref file. We do not save specific location paths to the xrefs for this reason. I would not suggest changing your support path to include the xref location, as that is not a good solution. What happens on the next file and the file after that that the paths are incorrect, do you really want to add so many support paths to your ACAD session, I don't think so.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the responses.

When I go under options, Open and Save Tab, Demand load xrefs is disabled. For the user where the xref does not view, it is set to Enabled with Copy. Most of our machines here are set to Enabled with Copy. Anyone know why that would make a difference?

We are using ACAD 2005. And yes, all of our files are on the server.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

. . . Anyone know why that would make a difference? . . .
    Disabled, load the xref and allow one other user to edit the original xref at the same time.
    Enable, load the xref and do not allow any other user to edit the original xref at the same time.
    Enable with copy, create and load a copy of the xref in a temporary location.

Use Disabled

: ) Happy Computing !

kennet
    Last edited by kennet.sjoberg; 2005-12-14 at 10:48 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

We had the same problem here too. I think recover the xrefs and all the nested ones also will solve the problem. It usually happens with the large bkgds (files).