Thread: painted walls

Login to Give a bone

I'm having some trouble creating a wall type for a painted CMU wall that has an accent stripe. Its straight forward, tan up 12' >accent stripe for 6' to match canopies >back to tan to the parapet >6" accent color cap flashing. The interior has clear sealer so nothing needs done there.

The first problem is that I can't get the stripe without stacking 3 separate walls on top of each other.

The second problem is the wall height steps in a few locations and I can't get the cap flashing to maintain a 6" wrap that follows the elevation profile without making separate wall segements for the different heights.

Obviously this can be done as a bunch of small pieces but I was hoping someone could give me a hint on creating everything using as few pieces as possible and without having to group parts together so they act as one wall. Or tell me to suck it and just use pieces and groups.
    Thanks y'all

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: painted walls

Use the "Split Face" tool on the wall. Assign materials for the various colors and then use the "Paint Bucket" tool to apply them to the split regions of the wall.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If it's a simple graphic issue then I'd suggest using the split face tool and painting the finish where it needs to go.
    If you want to schedule the different walls then you can create two different wall styles, use the split tool and change the style of wall for each segment.
    Keep in mind that if you create the wall style with a 'finish layer' then it can be minimum 1/8" thick. You could also define a paint material and assign it to a membrane layer so it could be a 0" thickness. As long as the location line for the walls are face of core they should align correctly if you give the material thickness

Login to Give a bone

I knew I was forgeting something, now that you mentioned it the split wall face comes back to me
    Thanks!
    Any ideas on that cap flashing? I was thinking of creating a sweep to follow the elevation profile although I would rather use this as a last resort.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRPM
    Any ideas on that cap flashing? I was thinking of creating a sweep to follow the elevation profile although I would rather use this as a last resort.
    Use a sweep if its going to appear in 3D , otherwise it can be handled easily as a split face also.

Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

In my experience (5.1, haven't used it in 6.1 yet) the split surface tool is a little fussy. Editing the boundries of a split surface which has been painted with the paint tool can cause the finish to revert back to the original material. Split surface boundries also need to be closed loops which can be difficult to manage if the surface has multiple adjacent splits in it. Editing the boundries of a split surface can cause the boundry of the adjacent surface to become invalid. This means you will find yourself recreating the second split suface after it disappears. These are not major issues, but I thought that I would give you a heads up so that you could be on the look out for these quirks.

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the tips, I had no problems and got exactly what I needed. this maybe common knowledge but I wasn't expecting that the top, bottom, interior, and exterior faces can be split and painted independently. While simple its pretty powerful and eliminates the need for overly comprex wall types.