Thread: Linetypes with shapes - Error: bad definition at line...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Linetypes with shapes - Error: bad definition at line...

We're having a weird problem over here where a certain linetype, when loaded, gets a "bad definition at line..." error. The linetype uses a shape file called "ARC" and works on some people's machines but not on others. All the support paths are there. We've even moved the support path to the top of the list so it can't bomb or be truncated. All other linetypes with special shapes from the same LIN file load and work fine except this one. We've copied the shapes into AutoCAD's support directory and still doesn't work. Everything in the LIN file is OK because we've been using this thing forever in AutoCAD and it works for some people. Here's the weird part. When you type "LOAD" and browse to the ARC shape file, it loads OK and you can insert the shape as much as you want into the file using the SHAPE command. Any thoughts as to why the linetype is getting a bad definition?

Oh yeah, we also tried to insert a file that had the linetype loaded as both a layer's linetype assignment and a line that was physically changed to the linetype but the linetype comes out as just dots.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linetypes with shapes - Error: bad definition at line...

Hi

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD 2006 General forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Login to Give a bone

Hi

What happens if you Export an AutoCAD profile from a "good" user, then Import and set Current into a users AutoCAD session that is experiencing the problem ?

If no joy, is it possible to post the .LIN and .SHP files.

Have a good one, Mike

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

First things first. I put this into the AutoCAD 2006 general forum because it really has NOTHING to do with customization. It's obviously an AutoCAD error popping up that just so happens to be associated with a custom linetype. The linetype code is perfect and the shape is a valid shape so it's an AutoCAD thing.

As far as the fix, a new profile was loaded and it didn't work AND we erased the LDDT.arg file so AutoCAD was forced to build another default profile and that still didn't work.

On a different note.... it took me forever to find my original post because I had no idea it was moved to Customization. Is the one who starts the thread ever told where it gets moved to? What happens if a forum conversation gets cut off because the topic gets moved and the ones involved don't see it anymore so they assume the issue was resolved?

Login to Give a bone

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolmo
    First things first. I put this into the AutoCAD 2006 general forum because it really has NOTHING to do with customization. It's obviously an AutoCAD error popping up that just so happens to be associated with a custom linetype. The linetype code is perfect and the shape is a valid shape so it's an AutoCAD thing.
    I am afraid we are going to have to agree to disagree on this point.

Why? - Yes the message appears in AutoCAD, but the message is a standard error message when loading a Linetype file that has a bad definition ( A forum search or an Autodesk Knowledge Base search will show that to be the case ).

As far as the fix, a new profile was loaded and it didn't work AND we erased the LDDT.arg file so AutoCAD was forced to build another default profile and that still didn't work.
    As requested above please post the .LIN and .SHP files so we may take a look.

On a different note.... it took me forever to find my original post because I had no idea it was moved to Customization. Is the one who starts the thread ever told where it gets moved to? What happens if a forum conversation gets cut off because the topic gets moved and the ones involved don't see it anymore so they assume the issue was resolved?
    When a thread in moved by a Forum Moderator a "redirect" is left in the original forum ( please refer to attached screen capture ), therefore enabling the originate to easily find their moved post.

Generally the "redirect" is removed from the original forum once it is known the originate has seen the new location of their thread ( eg Once they have posted back in the thread since the move action took place; as is the case now - I will remove the "redirect" from the AutoCAD 2006 General forum.

+

You can always find your posts via...

Quick Links drop-down forum menu ( along the top, in-between Search and LogOut ) -> My Profile -> Forum Info area, either click link "Find all post by ForumUserNameHere" or "Find all threads started by ForumUserNameHere"

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2006-01-16 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Correct my poor grammar.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the redirect tip. I looked for it through multiple pages and didn't see it (the first time). My bad.

About the disagreement and main problem. We'll just have to disagree because as I said before, there is NO problem with the shape file OR the .LIN file. There is NO error in the way the code is written so the customization portion of this problem is simply not the problem. The fact that 80 people in the company pull from the same linetype file and same shape file and only 2 people are getting the error tells me that there's something wrong with their AutoCAD that's producing the error. All the customization tips in the world CANNOT help this problem because it is not a customization problem. Posting the .LIN and shape files would be pointless because there's nothing wrong with them. Since the 'good profile' and default profile idea didn't work (which usually does), and the fact that the user really had not customized their AutoCAD (simple user), we simply reinstalled AutoCAD and now everything works perfect. Now if that fix doesn't screem that it was AN AUTOCAD PROBLEM then I don't know what does. This ain't my first rodeo cowboy. I, for the most part, know what I'm talking about here. Obviously no bad feelings though. We're all in this together.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Linetypes with shapes - Error: bad definition at line...

Hi Coolmo

Thanks for posting back the solution that worked for your particular issue / problem...

I can assure you there is no bad feeling from this end.

Mike