Thread: Create new Dynamic Block via editing a Block within another drawing file

Login to Give a bone

Default Create new Dynamic Block via editing a Block within another drawing file

[ Moderator Mode = On ] Clearing up thread "Split" action. Original thread found here [ Moderator Mode = OFF ]

I have another question (and I'm sure it's on here, I just can't seem to find a thread to answer the question - if you can direct me to another thread that would be great, or if a mod would like to edit the question to become it's own thread that's fine too).

I created this dynamic block by editing a block within drawing 'A'. If I w-block the block from model space to it's own file 'B', when I insert it into drawing 'C' I have to explode it to get the dynamic properties to show. How do I go about setting this up so that when I insert the block I've made to another file I don't have to explode it once to get to the dynamic properties. I think the simplest answer is that next time I should start with a new drawing and during the bedit command select <current drawing> (correct?). In the meantime, how do I salvage the work I've done to this point so that I don't have to explode the block every time I insert to be able to use the dynamic properties (visibility state)? If it weren't so much work I'd start over, but I'm way to far into the block at this point - starting over would be a MAJOR time killer.
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2006-01-10 at 05:45 PM. Reason: please refer to Moderator comments in blue text.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Create new Dynamic Block via editing a Block within another drawing file

pb- ok, when you make the wblock, do you 'select objects', or use the 'from block' option? my thought is you are selecting objects first to make wblock and that is the reason you have to explode. so, to recap what you need to do: finish what you need to do to DB in drawing 'A', start WBlock process, but select 'block' option at top of dialog and then select the name of the DB, (and location of save), and then finish. if you have any other Q's post them and i'll see what i can find out...
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Create new Dynamic Block via editing a Block within another drawing file

That's it Chris - I really thought I'd done that. I guess I made some kind of mistake somewhere along the way. I appreciate the help. If I come up with any more questions I'll be back. I was pretty settled with Autocad's quirks in 2002, but we jumped to 2006 and trying to take full advantage of the capabilities has me at a loss. I'm glad there's help out there though... thanks!