See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Butt Glazing Curtain Wall

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Butt Glazing Curtain Wall

Attached is a zip file with a quick almost-cheating work-around to get Butt Glazing to look correct when using a very common Kawneer system wherein the mullion is behind the glass, the corner mullion is also behind the glass, and a trim piece in the corner is an infill rather than mitering the glass. (Our clients do not generally miter the glass - incredibly expensive.) The only thing that is seriously cheating is the 1/16" space between the glass, both aligned and at the corner. This is really part of the mullion. In reality, it would be the flexible fill between the aligned panels (therefore with a "glass" material definition) and the corner infill would likely be a silver color aluminum even if the mullion is bronze. My quickie solution means that little piece is the same material as the mullion.

But more or less, it looks correct in plan, elevation and model views. Except the material. Skills required include understanding offsets for the two ends, understand profiles for mullions, and creating door infill panels in curtain walls, mitering corners of curtain walls and creating nested grids (for the door). Feel free to use what I created and edit if you wish. One has a top and bottom frame and one could be set above an ADT wall with no top and bottom frame. Depends on what you are doing.

The file also shows a wall style and door style we created for simple butt glazing - just does not show divisions. Which you could do in plan by telling that style not to cleanup with anything. Again, depends on how picky you are.

Good luck,
    PBR

Added as an afterthought: The door will schedule correctly for the size you set - the mullions will not. They will schedule as 1/16" x 6". Like I said - it was sort of cheating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by phyllisr; 2006-01-10 at 08:39 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Butt Glazing Curtain Wall

Very old post....but just had to say thanks! Since I am going a bit retro from my usual Revit...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"