Thread: Adjusting Wall type, that has been grouped, constrained and in different groups

Login to Give a bone

Default Adjusting Wall type, that has been grouped, constrained and in different groups

I have a wall type say 70_timber_Gboard_both sides, and in the structure of the model it had been entered as 69mm for the structure thickness. In dimensioning i had realized i needed this to be actually be 70mm. Now, the issue came from the type of wall was in multiple groups(group names TH1, TH2, TH3 and so on). And these walls had their positions constrained. So when editing the properties of the wall, changed the 69 to 70. Ok. Ok. this caused an error, constraints of the walls were not satisfied (fine), removed constraints. Error:edit is only allowed in edit group mode. Clicked edit group for group TH1, opened for editing repeated structure thickness change, and had to remove constraints (fine), but new error as cannot edit TH2 group!! unless in edit group mode. So cyclical error. repeated with TH2 but same deal, cannot edit TH1 unless in edit group mode. (I also tried selecting all the instances of the walls in the groups, and changing them to a different wall type but this also doesn't work) So, my solution was just to remove the walls of that type form the model group, change them in each case and then add them back to the group. Is there a way around this? I'd like to be able to just change the value, whatever it may be and it update to all the different groups. Help is alway appreciated. Chris.
    Last edited by chris.hitchcock.nz; 2006-01-10 at 11:34 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Adjusting Wall type, that has been grouped, constrained and in different groups

Anyone? any solutions?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adjusting Wall type, that has been grouped, constrained and in different groups

Create a new wall type with the right size, then edit your group and swap it out.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adjusting Wall type, that has been grouped, constrained and in different groups

Create a new wall type that has the 70mm material needed. Duplicate the group TH1 to TH1a. Place it somewhere, edit that group and switch the walls from the 69mm material to the 70mm material. Finish the group. See if you can swap out groups TH1 for TH1a.

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Adjusting Wall type, that has been grouped, constrained and in different groups

thanks guys for your replies, the issue that arises is that the wall type is in more than one group. (which you cant edit multiple groups) The way we did it in the end was to open the groups up individually remove the offending walls from each group, and then change the wall style once all the walls were removed, and then edit each group, adding the walls back in.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

In my post I suggested you duplicate the wall type and duplicate the group. The new wall type doesn't affect the original groups. You duplicate the group and change the "wrong" walls in this new group. Then swap the old groups for the new ones with the right wall type.

But hey, you solved a crazy group problem on your own. Hope you didn't have too many of them, because if you remove a wall from 200 groups, you'll have 200 walls outside the group in your project. So then you change the one wall outside the group so it has the right properties, then add it to the group. Now this new wall in the group overlaps the other 199 walls out there in the project that were orphaned from the original group.

Make sense?
    Last edited by Wes Macaulay; 2006-01-11 at 09:40 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah cheers Wes, that takes the issue out of the groups that are the same, in this scenario. TH1 and TH4 are individual (slightly different) groups, but TH2 and TH3 are the same (TH2 group) so the duplicating the group type and fixing them and then replacing all the old ones would come in very handy! especially for 200 town houses that were the same, Thanks for your time/help. Chris.