See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit on a Laptop ??

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit on a Laptop ??

Is anyone using Revit on a Laptop? If so what type of setup do you have. Will a laptop give me enough horse power I need to work efficiently? I am looking at possibly having to travel to our remote office to get Revit up and running and also do production work in both areas. This could be an on going thing for me. My first thought was that I switch my setup to a laptop with docking station at each office vs two separate workstations. Looking for suggestions/ideas.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit on a Laptop ??

I use a laptop at home. Just a cheap one though, didn't spend the money on a high end workstation laptop since I don't use it that much ($1800). It is just an HP P4 3.0 HT, 2 gig ram, 100 gig hd, x600 graphics 128 mb, wireless net, 17" widescreen, etc. It works fine, but our files are usually less than 30 MB, so I haven't noticed it slowing down any compared to other computers I use. Does not work with open gl though, it doesn't crash, but it loses the model as you spin it. Overlay planes are turned on though.

Login to Give a bone

Hi,
    I have been using RS2 on my laptop, but also without huge files. Mine is a Toshiba Satellite with 2.0 ghz processor and 1 mb of ram. Never had a problem with it. But I would suggest 2 mb of RAM is the way to go.

Bruce, that "cheap" laptop sound pretty good to me....and a 17" screen to boot.

Have a great day...

Tom Weir
    Los Angeles

Active Member tsbykatherine60220's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If your remote offices are tied together with a WAN, I'd really recommend having 2 separate workstations. The laptop thing gets to be a bit of a pain when you start lugging it all over. The "laptop" Bruce mentions is similar to mine (I've got an AlienWare with a P4 3GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, 60GB 7200rpm single drive, 256MB nVidia GeForce Go 6800 video card, 17" widescreen), don't be fooled .... it's a portable workstation. It generates a ton of heat, weighs a lot and the only carrying case they offered was a backpack (which turns out to be the best option). The battery life is nothing and extra batteries are costly for the amount of time you get. I always plug mine in.

On the plus side, I've never had any problems using Revit on it. It works out well because I need to take it with me to home and instead of trying to figure out the portable license utility I can just borrow one of the network licenses while I'm using it. As long as you know what you're getting into you won't be disappointed.

There are many threads about laptop usage in the Revit Building forum and I'd check those out as well to find out what to look for when putting yours together.

Have fun and good luck,

Rick

Login to Give a bone

NO Kidding! It does generate a lot of heat. It is definitely able to handle workstation loads. I use it for gaming as well and it feels like it will melt under my right hand during game play. Revit makes it hot too, but not as bad as a multiplayer internet game. I got my at Sam's Club, happened to be the best deal in town, and they had an attache case for it from samsonite for less than $40. It would be easier to carry it with a backpack though. I carry a seagate 160 gb external hd with me and sync between the two computers. Not perfect though when you are going back and forth a lot though. They have smaller hds for laptops so you end up lugging a much smaller load.

I have a laptop so I can be mobile when necessary with it. Like doing remodels, outside client meetings, etc. I bought an inverter in case I don't have access to power. It only lasts about 1.5 hrs off the power cord running revit, not 3d spinning or shadows; about 30 to 45 minutes gaming.
    Last edited by BWG; 2006-01-13 at 03:20 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Wow! some of the specs on those laptops are pretty impressive... mine's an old Dell Inspiron 5100, P4 2.8GHz, 60G HD, 512Mb ram... tis a bit slow at times but better than nothing when out on site or travelling...
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

Active Member tsbykatherine60220's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    NO Kidding! It does generate a lot of heat.....
    The 1st time I noticed was when I had a fresh can of soda sitting right where the fans blow out.....after about 4 or 5 minutes it was luke warm

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm running Revit Building on a maxxed out Dell XPS notebook and it's running just fine. As a matter of fact, my notebook runs as fast or faster than most PCs I run next to.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I use Revit on a HP 8000 series which has a 17" screen.

Dell has unveiled laptops with 19 and 20" screen at the recent CES show

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/newsima...d=2188&image=5

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dg
    I use Revit on a HP 8000 series which has a 17" screen.

Dell has unveiled laptops with 19 and 20" screen at the recent CES show

www.pocket-lint.co.uk/newsimage.php?newsId=2188&image=5
    That looks impressive, I really like the idea of having the keyboard away from the computer. I've never been able to get used to having it about the mouse pad area; I keep selecting the scroll part of it accidentally (and there's that heat issue again ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast