Thread: Walls in Multi-Category Schedules?

Login to Give a bone

Question Walls in Multi-Category Schedules?

I am trying to get Walls to appear in a multi-category schedule. Is there a way to achieve this or some work-around for it? I have tried creating a new multi-category tag, but it didn't seem to like the idea of having one of its type parameters being assigned to an existing value from an already existing parameter. Instead, some other window pops up, as though you tapped Alt-Tab, when you click on the little gray "assignment" box on the right of any give field in the properties dialog. Something isn't right, eh? If anyone has had success, please let me know, otherwise I guess I'll post to the wishlist. I am surprised that Revit does not place walls in a multi-category schedule! "Multi" gave me hope there for a hot second, but alas, I was denied! Too bad, since I use it to schedule just about everything down to smoke breaks and bathroom usage....

Help!

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Walls in Multi-Category Schedules?

Multi-category schedules are for Family Components. So they don't contain Host Elements: Walls, Floors, Roof, Ceilings, Stairs and Railings.

Don't know why - just is.

-Phil

Login to Give a bone

Ah-hah! That would explain it. The "multi-category" label is rather misleading then. I couldn't find a suitable work-around either, so, I guess I am stuck. I posted it on the wishlist, but it hasn't garned much attention. Not that I think they should stop production on the next release or anything, but they are missing a crucial element of flexibility that could be provided by this fine software...

Thanks for the response!

-Jason

Login to Give a bone

Just encountered this issue this morning. This is crazy. Just spent the last half-hour trying to figure it out, switching back and forth between my Multi-Category and Wall schedules trying to figure out what was different even though they used the same Type parameter, in the end thinking my schedule Filters were the cause.

As Jason has mentioned, Multi-Category label is very misleading. Oooh, nearly 3 years on since the last post too .

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

This is HUGE now that I'm working for a contractor instead of an architect. This means that there's absolutely no way to create one schedule that accounts for all items in the project? Is there any work around someone knows of?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

You have two unpalitable choices I believe. One is to export the project thru ODBC to something like Acess, and learn how to filter it to what you want. The second is to try to accomplish this via the API programing interface. Otherwise, there is no possibility of a work-a-round untile the developers remove that obsticle in the prgram itself. Be careful, or they'll claim to fix it by changing the nomenclature of the Multi-Category schedule to something "less" misleading.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    You have two unpalitable choices I believe. One is to export the project thru ODBC to something like Acess, and learn how to filter it to what you want.
    That's what I do.
    Revit is a limited relational database: only a few tables are related, for example - Furniture and rooms.
    My quantities come out of a database, because the purpose is to get everything (yes, everything) in a single list (call it query).
    In any standard database, you can acomplish this using union queries.
    My first problem was that I didn't knew enough sql for the task, but I found out that one can make the query in design mode, graphicaly establish relashions and the way thing are sorted and filtered, and then paste the result sql code into a sql query with multiple unions (one for each revit category).
    Next step is to sort everything by the classification system chosen: assembly code, keynote, or both.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I found another workaround that suited what I wanted to accomplish. A material takeoff will include all elements, but you HAVE TO include at least one material category. It will not even let you hide the column, so I have no choice but to leave the unnecessary column in my schedule. Niiicccee, Autodesk.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cbaze View Post
    I found another workaround that suited what I wanted to accomplish. A material takeoff will include all elements, but you HAVE TO include at least one material category. It will not even let you hide the column, so I have no choice but to leave the unnecessary column in my schedule. Niiicccee, Autodesk.
    That's good though! Totally works for me!

Why wouldn't we have just that sans the material limitation is beyond everyone, I gather .. .

Thanks a lot you!