Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dialog box when opening drawing file - Missing shape (SHX) files

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Dialog box when opening drawing file - Missing shape (SHX) files

Every time i open a drawing the Select Shape File dialog box comes up. I know this is because I'm missing the shape (SHX) files. I did find on the Autodesk website that i need to erase shape objects that reference unavailable shape files, but the problem is how do i find out which which shape objects i need to erase? Or how can i tell which shape object is being referenced by the shape file that i need to erase?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dialog box when opening drawing file - Missing shape (SHX) files

You can assign a font to the FONTALT variable; this will replace any SHX files AutoCAD cannot find. You can look in the STYLE dialog to see what SHX files AutoCAD cannot find, and reassign them there if you wish.

Login to Give a bone

Shape files are also frequently used for custom linetypes. You might want to check your drawing for custom linetypes, and replace them with standard linetypes or linetypes you created yourself, then purge the other linetypes.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scott.wilcox
    You can assign a font to the FONTALT variable; this will replace any SHX files AutoCAD cannot find. You can look in the STYLE dialog to see what SHX files AutoCAD cannot find, and reassign them there if you wish.
    AutoCAD will not prompt for missing font files unless the assigned font is not available, a font mapping file is not available, and fontalt is not set.

Most likely, it is prompting the OP for a shape file, not a font file (yes they share the SHX file extension).
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by roy_leanne
    Every time i open a drawing the Select Shape File dialog box comes up. I know this is because I'm missing the shape (SHX) files. I did find on the Autodesk website that i need to erase shape objects that reference unavailable shape files, but the problem is how do i find out which which shape objects i need to erase? Or how can i tell which shape object is being referenced by the shape file that i need to erase?
    Most likely, you are missing a shape file that is referenced in a complex linetype. It's also possible that there are shapes themselves inserted in the drawing.

Do you really want to purge them? You are probably losing something if you do.

Easy way out - download SuperPurge from www.manusoft.com, and do a hard purge.

Longer method, but safer - find what is referencing the shape file, whether its an inserted shape, or a linetype. Delete this reference and then purge the shape file using PURGE.

Good luck

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Take a look at this thread ( Missing Shape files? ).

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Last edited by rkmcswain; 2008-12-22 at 01:41 PM. Reason: update URL

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I am open one drawing.. but this error found in ...the command box substituting [simplelex.shx] for [HBOLD .SHX] .

Display the box specify font for style cwdtx.... so this error remove way please..

Login to Give a bone

Hi, welcome to AUGI.

Your drawing contains a text style definition that requires a font file called HBOLD.shx but that file is not where acad can find it on your computer. Either copy that file (HBOLD.shx) to a folder on acad's support path (usually Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD (version number)\Fonts) or use the STYLE command to assign a different font to the style.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Try out the Reference Manager: start menu - all programs - autodesk - autocad 2011 - Reference Manager. You can delete or change the path of multiple files at once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast