See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: AutoCAD Map 3D and InRoads Compatibility Question

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD Map 3D and InRoads Compatibility Question

First let me say that I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section of the forum so Mod's, please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate place.

Background for the question: I am the "un-offical" CAD manager for our agency so anytime there's a problem, it comes to me. AutoCAD is the primary CAD software for our agency; however, we have one State that has been using MicroStation along with InRoads due to compatibility with clients. Our agency recently bought quite a few nationwide licensed managed copies of AutoCAD Map 2005 and they are attempting to convert over to using the Map rather than MicroStation. Our agency hasn't received the funding to go ahead and purchase the Autodesk Civil Design vertical products, so these folks are trying to use Map 3d as their graphics engine and their existing InRoads software to do the design work.

Now for the problem: Here's the question they sent me and I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions for a fix.

We are running Bentley InRoads Suite V8.7 for our civil design needs. It will run in AutoCad 2005. It will not run well at all in AutoDesk Map 2005. Any graphic command sends the processor through the roof and the computer locks up (sometimes, sometimes not). Needless to say, it is very buggy. Is there a way to write a script file to command Map to hide when InRoads is opened? I noticed that Map opens in the AutoCad 2005 platform and that's what we need (AutoCad, not Map).
    When I asked if their Bentley software was under a support contract here was the reply:

We are running Bentley InRoads Suite V8.7 (which is compatible w/ AutoCad 2005). Yes, we have a maintenance agreement w/ Bentley for the time being. They aren't much help as they claim their product was not tested w/ the Map 3D package.

Shouldn't I be able to go into the acad2005doc.lsp file and write a command line in the startup to kick Map off the screen and allow us to work strictly in AutoCad?

TIA,
    Kathy Miller
    Last edited by kathy.miller; 2006-01-23 at 10:04 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD Map 3D and InRoads Compatibility Question

Hi Kathy

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the Software forum to this one as I believe it would be better served here.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Mike...I wasn't sure where to put it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kathy.miller
    We are running Bentley InRoads Suite V8.7 for our civil design needs. It will run in AutoCad 2005. It will not run well at all in AutoDesk Map 2005. Any graphic command sends the processor through the roof and the computer locks up (sometimes, sometimes not). Needless to say, it is very buggy. Is there a way to write a script file to command Map to hide when InRoads is opened? I noticed that Map opens in the AutoCad 2005 platform and that's what we need (AutoCad, not Map).
    Hi

The following couple of threads should give you some ideas...

LDT2k5 opening as Map

The Publish Command Error

+

A forum search would probably turn-up a lot more useful information eg

Key Word(s): Command + Line + *Switch*

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: AutoCAD Map 3D and InRoads Compatibility Question

Quote Originally Posted by kathy.miller
    Thanks Mike...I wasn't sure where to put it.
    Hi Kathy

No worries... and good luck

Mike