See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: suggestions on digital camera?

Login to Give a bone

Question suggestions on digital camera?

I have finally decided to break down and buy a digital camera. Does anyone have any good/bad/ugly opinions about a particular brand, which feature is most important, how easy it is to transport, etc?

I need something that will perform equally well inside and outside. (A zoom is optional, obviously, we know we can crop and zoom in photoshop.)

I'm thinking about batteries here, too. Something I can buy rechargable batteries for? or if not, something that doesn't eat up batteries like the cookie monster does oatmeal raisin?

Also, what types of cards do they take? Are they standard?

Quite frankly, going into a camera store is a little overwhelming for me. The person behind the counter will tell you anything they think you want to hear, or nothing, because they don't know anything about them. I'd like to hear from people who've owned one for at least a few months.

(also, I don't want to spend a fortune)

Thanks for any input. I am tired of lugging around this massive thing we have had for years. Not only do I have to lug it around, I also have to carry a box of floppy disks! (about 18 high-res pics per disk)
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: suggestions on digital camera?

Kodak has a real nice 4.0 mega pixel model
    that actually comes with a rechargeable battery
    and no need for any software through USB, it will
    take MPEG movies with sound, and output to VHS
    device through included cable. I believe it also adopts
    the same 'docking' port as HP for connection to
    photo printer hardware.

Login to Give a bone

Ive always found that the cannon A series were good reliable cameras, I've used both and A60 and A65 models and found them easy to use and versatile in different photographic situations. Im currently saving up to get the newet A80 model, The A60 model goes for about $300 Canadian, the A70 $400 CAD and the A80 $500. Id stay away from Kodak cameras in my experience you pay more for the name than the quality. HP also makes good cameras at a reasonable price

Login to Give a bone

I have a Kodak 3 megapixel camera. It has worked splendidly for me. It has a optical and digital zoom (I never use the digital, you need a tripod to be able to hold still enough). It was about 300.00, but that was 2 years ago, and has dropped dramatically in price. They say 3 megapixels will print up to 11 x 17 photos, but my printer can't print that big. I have some great 8 x 10's of the kids hanging on my walls. You can tell they are digital, but I think that is more the printer. I have used online printer, and they look as good as old fashioned photos

Go to a camera shop, they are starting to really get into the digital cameras now, they will be able to tell you more. My 56 meg, along with the internal memory, holds about 70 high res pictures. I would recommend a bigger one, for vacations and what not. I would have bought a bigger one, but they didn't have any at the store I had the gift certificate for, and I am not patient

Also, it will shoot short vidoes, although I haven't tried that yet.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

My still camera quit working, so with a new baby, I had to pick up
    a camera. Perfect opportunity to talk the wife into a digital camera......I went with
    Kodak 4530 easyshare 5.0 Megapixel camera. Also, picked up the printer dock
    because it doubles as a battery charger. I can print my own photos and have
    several at my desk. The photo kits are $25 US and make 40 prints. Polaroids cost
    the same, make lesser quality photos, and only 25 prints.....In my book the
    printer dock rules! Get one! Overall, the camera ended up being one of my favorite gadgets. My son will probably kill me when he is a teenager (check the avatar bathtub pic, lol).

Login to Give a bone

For everyday 'home-use', Olympus has a very nice line of digital cameras, the D-series, excellent quality & easy to use, speed between shots can be a little slow depending on your settings, but is very easy to use and reliable, good price also.
    Try not to get anything under 3MP as you will be disappointed with the results for the little difference in price. Also, I would recommend Ni-MH rechargeable batteries, get enough for two sets for the camera, as one set can be charging as you are using the other. I strongly recommend using batteries that a made for electronic products as they will proved the extra surge required for digital cameras. Regular batteries tend to 'drop-off' in power after the first few pictures and the quality declines steadily.
    If you have a little extra cash on hand and want a superb camera, the Cannon Powershot, 8MP, and the Cannon Rebel, 6.0 MP are both excellent cameras, here in Canada they are about $1400 each.
    I suggest researching digitals on the web to narrow down your choices, printing of the info and then going into the camera shop with info in hand to physically compare the cameras you are interested in. By being familiar with the digital camera 'lingo' and having info in hand, the salesmen tend to treat you a little differently sometimes.

good luck

joe
    P.S. - get a good size memory card- 128MB minimum, 256MB prefered, holds lots of pics for trips, events ,ect until you can download or transfer to disk, I actually keep a second card as a backup with the camera.
    Last edited by baechlerj; 2004-08-30 at 04:22 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

I've got a Nikon CoolPix 885, bought 3 years ago, has served me pretty well on my travels -

3 MegaPixel, I wouldn't recommend anything less than that, especially nowadays (4 to 5 MegaPixel is more the norm).

128MB CompactFlash card (bought additionally), most camera's come with pretty low storage card capacity, 128MB is ok! but again I would recommend that really should be the minimum nowadays.

Here's a good place to start looking for information -

Digital Cameras on ZDnet

The only thing I would really recommend is set a strict budget on how much you want to pay, then work from there; if you don't I think you will find yourself going round in circles (that's what happened to me, I kept saying if I only spend a little more I can get X).

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Check out CNET for some good reviews for cameras. Digital cameras - CNET. There are also reviews from users, including a most popular list. Also there are video about what to look for and explains some of the terminology.

I'm with arcadia_x27 about the cannon A series. I bought my mom the A-70, and it's a great camera. I would go with the A-80 as it has some really cool new feature. Mainly the swivel LCD screen. You can tilt the screen in any direction, making it a lot easier to take pictures over the top of a crowed. I have that feature in my Cannon G2. That is another great series from cannon.

There are several types of memory cards. I would go with the COMPACTFLASH. It's cheaper then most of the others. Also there not to small in size. Some of the other types (mainly secure digital) are very small and could be easily lost.

For the zoom features, don't even think about the digital zoom. Look at the optical. Digital can really pixelize a picture.

Login to Give a bone

Here is a list from CNET of what cameras NOT TO BUY.
    Cameras that can't cut it.

Login to Give a bone

Remember when you are setting your budget price to include things like a carry case, larger/extra memory card, batteries, (recharger).
    Also stock up on photo paper and more ink for your printer because for the first while you will play around and photo& print anything that moves and lots of stuff that doesn't!

joe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast