Thread: Concrete Framed Floors

Login to Give a bone

Default Concrete Framed Floors

Morning All,

I have just downloaded the demo of Revit Structure. What is the best way to create a floor plan that has concrete edge and interal beams with concrete slabs in between?

Do I draw each length of beam that has one section profile?
    Then the slab in between?

The beams arent the off the shelf one in the library. The section profiles
    vary greatly. How would I create them? Using families?

The reason Iam looking at this is I want to use revit to produce the beam
    elevations so I can import them into AutoCAD and then use my reo detailing
    program to draft up the beam reo.

I have a couple of jpgs and dwfs of what I mean, but I cant figure out how to attach them to the post.

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott V

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Concrete Framed Floors

Quote Originally Posted by sviney
    Morning All,

I have just downloaded the demo of Revit Structure. What is the best way to create a floor plan that has concrete edge and interal beams with concrete slabs in between?

Do I draw each length of beam that has one section profile?
    Then the slab in between?
    This would appear to be the easiest way to achive that result, however with out an example of what you are trying to do it is hard to tell.

The beams arent the off the shelf one in the library. The section profiles
    vary greatly. How would I create them? Using families?
    Yes, you would need to create families for these new profiles. If you are still very new to the program I would sugguest creating one family for each different profile instead of trying to control any minor dimensional variations with family types.

I have a couple of jpgs and dwfs of what I mean, but I cant figure out how to attach them to the post.
    When you post your message if you go beyond the submit button you will see some additional options, there is a button labeled manage attachments, this will allow you to attach the files.

Login to Give a bone

Hi,
    1. You need to create a floor slab over the enitre floor area, not between the beams.

2. If the rectangular beam family is not loaded, load it from the library. Within that family create as many "types" of concrete beams as is required for your project. You don't need to create different "families".

3. Draw the beams in plan at 0" elevation.

4. For the edge condition you can use either one of the beams or you can use a floor edge sweep (in the architectural tab under host sweeps) which is preferable.

5. When you cut sections you can use the Join Geometry function to combine the slab and beam sections.

6. In plan you can use the linework tool to change the beam lines to hidden.

This is the better approach...

Tom Weir
    Los Angeles

Login to Give a bone

Ok thanks for the help on attaching here are a couple of dwf's that Iam currently working on

Hopefully this gives a better idea.

Cheers,
    Scott V
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Weir
    1. You need to create a floor slab over the enitre floor area, not between the beams.
    But if the slab depth changes between spans? Would I then draw the different slab depths to where the middle of the beam would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Weir
    2. If the rectangular beam family is not loaded, load it from the library. Within that family create as many "types" of concrete beams as is required for your project. You don't need to create different "families".
    I can have different shaped beams within the rectangular beam family?

Thanks for the help,
    Scott V

Login to Give a bone

I appolgize I completely misunderstood your original question. I misread the concrete beam reference and when you metioned the beam profiles I assumed you were using a rolled steel shape ir something similiar. I also thought you were not continuing the slab over the top of the beam.

After reviewing the details you posted I think you best option for the slab would be an inplace family, that would allow you to produce one mass with the various slab thicknesses.

With regards to the beam family, if all of your beams are rectangular it would be very easy to create them all within the same family. You would need to define a width and height parameter which will allow you to define the dimensions for each different beam profile.

Login to Give a bone

Ya, I misread a little too. If you have slab depth changes betwen spans then you would need several slab objects. But the beams in your DWF look mostly rectangular, or inverted tees which are in th library. So I guess I would do it like that.

If you made a slab extrusion and profile you would not be able to schedule or tag any of the beams ( still that may be ok for you).

If you make a family I would make not make it in-place. With an in-place family you cannot globally update the family. You have to update each one individually, which can betime consuming. Make the family outside of your project and all the instances are updatable.

Tom