Thread: Truss display Issues

Login to Give a bone

Default Truss display Issues

I have a family that consist of a truss with vertical and diagonal web members. The truss family would go from say level 2 to level 1 when placed. I was having trouble getting the vertical/diagonal members to show up in my level 1 plan and the top and bottom chords to show up as hidden linework. The attached shows my findings. I still have not found out how to make my top/bottom chords hidden. It appears that I have to join the truss to my slab than unjoin it to get the veritical/diag to display properly. Does any of this make sense. Am I taking the right approach for this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jrichardson; 2006-01-24 at 04:09 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Truss display Issues

Hi,
    Check your view range on the first floor. Is it high enough catch the vertical/diagonal members?
    Also in your family are your vertical/diagonal member visiblity settings checked to show in course mode?

Tom Weir
    Los Angeles

Login to Give a bone

View range appears to be fine and all family objects are set to be viewed in all detail levels and views. My solution for my hidden line issues seems to be this... If I set the family category to Structural Foundations instead of Structural Framing The top/bottom chord of truss will show as hidden lines below slab. Structural Foundations and Structural framing must have different relationships to a slab. Tried a few other categories like generic model and it still would not work.

Has anybody come across similiar cases like this and had no issues?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Jamie,

I'm not completely understanding what you want the final product to look and behave like. Could you post some sketches of what you wanting for the end result? I should have some time to play with it tonight or early tomorrow....

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Another alternative is to add hidden lines to your family representing the bottom chord. Set those to display only in course view. Set the solid extrusion (bottom chord) not to display in course mode.

Tom

Login to Give a bone

I have attached a sketch of what I am trying to achieve. I am able to do this as a work around. However I was wondering if this is a known issue with the current version or not. It seams as if slabs do not display structural framing as hidden linetype when they are below the slab. Which you would want to do when you are showing concrete. In my case I am using a truss family. The truss family is in the structural framing category. I was able to get the hidden lines to show by changing the category to structural foundations (workaround) The view range seems to be based off from the family not the project. The view range of the family needs to be different in the project depending on if you are at the level 1 (bottom chord with verts) or level 2 (top chord without verts). This may be a limitation for revit at this time or I might be doing something wrong. The .rvt and .rfa that I posted earlier would be somewhat the geometry that I am working with.

thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrichardson; 2006-02-04 at 03:25 AM.