Thread: Writing a CAD Draughting Manual and Electronic Document Management Manual

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Writing a CAD Draughting Manual and Electronic Document Management Manual

I started my new job two weeks ago and since i started i have noticed a big difference between them and my old company.

1. Using an older version of AutoCAD, i was using the latest update version of AutoCAD ADT now am using AutoCAD LT 2000, but i have already spoken with my boss about and they going to try and get licenses up graded as soon as possible.
    2. The is know CAD STANDARDS and DRAUGHTING MANUAL at all, so i have the manual from my previous company which was great.
    3. They is know set electronic filing system for all the drawings, emails, faxes, letters etc.. on each contracts as everything is just saved all over the place.

Well my question is i would like to starting up a Cad Draghting Manual and Electronic Document Management Manual so everything can work more efficient, but do i write start to write the manual is it worth setting it up towards the AutoCAD LT if we are going to upgrade to the latest version or is it good to have a manual for each version of AutoCAD?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Writing a CAD Draughting Manual and Electronic Document Management Manual

CAD Standards and Electronic Document Management should be independant of the software used to create drawings. The company should be able to change to an entirely different software package without requiring major changes.
    The Cad Draughting Manual may or may not need to be specific to a certain version of the software package - it would depend on the level of detail you intend to put in it.
    Would you want it to be a complete tutorial?
    Should it just give broad outlines?
    If it is too specific, it will need updating every time the software is upgraded.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Writing a CAD Draughting Manual and Electronic Document Management Manual

Thanks there are some good pointers there mate.

I dont want to be updating the manual all the time. So i think i will put together a CAD manual and do a tutorial for the things that people will use everyday, because allot of the guy's here have only been using AutoCAD LT 2000 and the have been loads of changes since then and the are things which i dont think they will know what use.
    The electronic document manual would just be were to find everything and were to save things to really, so people who are new can find things easier they dont need to ask loads of question they can just look through the manual and it will show you.