Thread: Problems with PEdit when joining some Lines together

Login to Give a bone

Default Problems with PEdit when joining some Lines together

I'd be grateful if anybody could help with this frustrating problem.

I produce drawings with a lot of p-lines representing pipe coils. I will draw a series of lines which are then filleted at 90 & 180°, and then I will p-edit the completed coil in order to get a measurable length using Area command. Often, the 180° fillet is a larger diameter than the distance between the parallel lines, i.e. creating a 'lightbulb' effect a bit like this: ౧.

Occassionally, for no obvious reaon, the p-edit will only join some lines together. I then have to move the end-point of the p-line back and forward to snap to the endpoint of the next section, before retrying p-edit. It seems to stop at the 'lightbulb' fillets, so it can be a long and trying process, and then all of a sudden the p-edit command will 'fly through' and join up a whole bunch of lines in one go.

I use a standard drawing sheet and copy & paste in building layouts from other people's drawings. I often create my lines by offsetting walls and then ceating an array from them.

I know it's not a co-planer problem, and I think it must be a setting somewhere that is stopping true snaps occurring, but I've no idea where to look to find and correct the problem.

I use LT2000 - is this a known problem with this version?

I could stop if I wanted to de-co1's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Problems with PEdit when joining some Lines together

I have experienced this same problem with various versions of ACAD, from R12 through 2005, as well as LT 2000. It seems to happen to me most when there is a lot of linework on screen, but sometimes I just cannot join two lines up with PEDIT at all, no matter what I try.

It is frustrating.

Login to Give a bone

A couple of hints that may, or may not, help -
    Change the colour of the first item before starting pedit. You will see immediately if the join has worked.
    Trying using Fillet (r=0) when Pedit\Join doesn't work.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately I need to show a radius, being pipework.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ross.wakley
    Thanks for the advice - unfortunately I need to show a radius, being pipework.
    You can still join two lines using PEDIT with a radius, and / or a chamfer. Simply set it to what you need it to be. Even if you have a polyline with only line segments, you can fillet each corner individually, or all of them at once if you want to set the same fillet radius to each change in line direction.

After you have set your fillet radius, enter your fillet command, and then hit P for Polyline, select your polyline and all the 'corners' will fillet to your specified radius...

Login to Give a bone

David

I see what you're saying, & I've tried it but it didn't work, and even if it did, I'd end up with 'true' radii on parallel lines, rather than the bulb effect I'm looking for. Attached is a scrap extract from a current drawing showing what I'm trying to do. If you explode the p-line pipe coils and then try p-edit again, only some segments join together (as copied loop 41 for example).

Ross
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Worked perfectly for me just using PEdit/Join and a window.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ross.wakley
    .....I've tried it but it didn't work, and even if it did, I'd end up with 'true' radii on parallel lines, rather than the bulb effect I'm looking for.
    So use Fillet (R=0) to join a straight to an arc.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah... I get the same problem at all your 'lightbulb' intersections. Filleting didn't work (Cannot fillet between these two entities - using both a fillet radius, as well as fillet with R=0), and neither did PEdit, until, as you have already pointed out, I snap the endpoints together again, and / or PEdit while zoomed right in.

It's never actually bothered me so much, as I have experienced this time and again through several versions of ACAD. 2005 full was the first time where this didn't happen as often, but when doing areas of buildings with or without curves, I would use the fillet command to get around the problem.

I'm afraid I can't make any more suggestions, and await any replies that might help.