Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I start?

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning

Default Where do I start?

I want to become the "expert in CAD" that my boss keeps telling everyone I am. He is a manager, with a background in Doc control therefore knows nothing about CAD.
    I know how to do some basics setting limits, placing shapes, colouring in placing and editing text, plotting etc.. I also have a good understanding about rastering (though no access to a specific rastering package at the moment) mainly from using IRASB with Microstation.
    I want to know more, but I'm scared that I have missed some basics as it has mainly been on the job training apart from a basic autoCAD course which was for some Architecture students.
    Is there a course which covers the basics? Think I spotted on which started in January, which I've missed. Or can someone suggest where I should start to develop what I know already.

My background is in document control for engineering drawings for a northsea oil platform, so if there was something to do with the content or explaining symbology of then that would be pretty cool too. I know far too much about revision statements and document numbering and next to nothing about the actual content of the P&ID's, cause and effects or Loop diagrams which are some of the drawings which pass through my hands on a daily basis.

Default Re: Where do I start?

Quote Originally Posted by Pontoon
    I want to become the "expert in CAD" that my boss keeps telling everyone I am. He is a manager, with a background in Doc control therefore knows nothing about CAD.
    I know how to do some basics setting limits, placing shapes, colouring in placing and editing text, plotting etc.. I also have a good understanding about rastering (though no access to a specific rastering package at the moment) mainly from using IRASB with Microstation.
    I want to know more, but I'm scared that I have missed some basics as it has mainly been on the job training apart from a basic autoCAD course which was for some Architecture students.
    Is there a course which covers the basics? Think I spotted on which started in January, which I've missed. Or can someone suggest where I should start to develop what I know already.

My background is in document control for engineering drawings for a northsea oil platform, so if there was something to do with the content or explaining symbology of then that would be pretty cool too. I know far too much about revision statements and document numbering and next to nothing about the actual content of the P&ID's, cause and effects or Loop diagrams which are some of the drawings which pass through my hands on a daily basis.
    The class in January that you were referring to is still open and you can join at any time. It may be useful to you. I'm also well acquainted with the instructor.

The Augi Training Program is a good place to start, you can take the new courses offered and view archived courses which are still available for download.

Also available are the Autodesk University handouts that have a very wide range of good information.

Hope that helps.

Hi

To go along with Ken's excellent suggestions above, the following links should prove helpful...

AUGI Forums - Select the relevant forum, and ask away.

AUGI HotNews

AUGIWorld

Local User Groups (LUGs) - maybe join a LUG.

Mike

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning

Fantastic I didn't realise you could join a course part way through.

I'll be a busy bunny for the next while taking the first steps towards my ultimate goal... world domination!!

Big thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pontoon
    Fantastic I didn't realise you could join a course part way through.

I'll be a busy bunny for the next while taking the first steps towards my ultimate goal... world domination!!

Big thanks

Just remember us when you take over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Augi Doggie
    Just remember us when you take over the world.
    Ken, should we call her Brain or Pinky.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    Ken, should we call her Brain or Pinky.
    Brain sounds more accurate, I haven't heard her say "Narf" yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Augi Doggie
    Brain sounds more accurate, I haven't heard her say "Narf" yet.
    I heard she is Scottish. It could happen.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

I may have missed the gist of the question; However, I am referring you to two possibilities that will help one is getting a book on how to draft piping and controls. the symbols there are going to be standard to the industry. I had to get one when I worked at a chemical plant doing p&id drawings. The other one is to get a machinery handbook. It will contain alot of general info about how things are produced and the processes that are used. The last thing I would recommend is to get a Lincoln Electric welding handbook. All of these can be gotten on CD/DVD.
    I promise unless something has changed AutoCAD package raster drawings are of very little use in Autocad. I don't know of any way to use Autocad to vectorized raster in Autocad.

Quote Originally Posted by dragomanusa
    I promise unless something has changed AutoCAD package raster drawings are of very little use in Autocad. I don't know of any way to use Autocad to vectorized raster in Autocad.
    Since R12 it has been possible to attach raster files to an acad file and display them within the drawing. Because of this it is possible to trace over a raster image using acad objects.
    The actual usefulness of this is fairly limited, though, depending on your application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast