Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatch pattern creation

AUGI Addict

Why does it take such a tremendous effort to try to create a simple hatch pattern! (using the text editor) Anyone who has ever tried to create has no doubt spent ages messing about with it - then given up - Here is an idea - draw a tile of a x and y size, draw the pattern you want to repeat within the tile, then save it as "whatever.pat" - why not on earth is that not there already?

The method at the moment is complicated, more importantly antiquated (I bet it was the same thing in Autocad release 1.0!!!) and seems EXTREMELY like trying to learn some sort of programming - which I constantly read Autodesk saying you wont have to do to use Revit? well if you are happy with the very basic set of fill patterns provided I suppose that is correct.......

Personally, if it wasnt for the hatches posted on RUGI, I think a lot of my drawings would look pretty poor.

BTW - You may have guessed, I just spent about 2 hours messing about trying to create a very basic hatch (440x215 blocks with 10mm joints) I gave up in the end. so if my tone is a bit blunt, forgive me but I am a bit P'd off at the moment about it

Default Re: Hatch pattern creation

I couldn't agree more. Revit should have the ability to make custom hatch patterns with a graphic interface.

I remember back in the old Apple IIc days, I had WordStar or something like that. If I wanted a new font/type, it had an integrated font editor that I could use to create my own fonts by selecting and unselecting "pixels" in a 32x32 grid. I was way into fantasy novels and such, so I created a "runic" type and used to write secret letters in it.

When I got my first PC, I opened up Word and was blown away that this didn't exist. In fact, the only way I know of to do this now is with Macromedia Fontographer 4.1 which was last updated about 6 years ago or something.

It seems like creating a simple bitmap "pattern editor" would not be so big a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin P
    Why does it take such a tremendous effort to try to create a simple hatch pattern! (using the text editor) Anyone who has ever tried to create has no doubt spent ages messing about with it - then given up - Here is an idea - draw a tile of a x and y size, draw the pattern you want to repeat within the tile, then save it as "whatever.pat" - why not on earth is that not there already?

The method at the moment is complicated, more importantly antiquated (I bet it was the same thing in Autocad release 1.0!!!) and seems EXTREMELY like trying to learn some sort of programming - which I constantly read Autodesk saying you wont have to do to use Revit? well if you are happy with the very basic set of fill patterns provided I suppose that is correct.......

Personally, if it wasnt for the hatches posted on RUGI, I think a lot of my drawings would look pretty poor.

BTW - You may have guessed, I just spent about 2 hours messing about trying to create a very basic hatch (440x215 blocks with 10mm joints) I gave up in the end. so if my tone is a bit blunt, forgive me but I am a bit P'd off at the moment about it
    Has anyone found out if this issue is going to be addressed? I have just spend too much time fiddling with notepad -> Revit -> notepad -> Revit and so on!!

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bowlingbrad
    Has anyone found out if this issue is going to be addressed? I have just spend too much time fiddling with notepad -> Revit -> notepad -> Revit and so on!!
    aren't there commercial applications out there that will help create hatch patterns? (i don't know, I never looked)

-Z
    Chris
    SOM | New York

There is something called HatchKit.

I found the program called HatchKit. I'm going to try the demo.
    Brad

All AUGI, all the time

Still no reason not to have a graphic interface for doing this as part of the program. Martin, how about adding a poll?

Quote Originally Posted by bowlingbrad
    I found the program called HatchKit. I'm going to try the demo.
    Brad
    I am now creating fill patterns by using

1. Autocad to construct the linework (yes, I'm still using THAT program)
    2. HatchKit to easily convert it to the appropriate PAT file.
    3. Loading them into my Revit Project.

This doesn't seem to take that long, but I still wish it could be accomplished easily within Revit.

A big thumbs up from me for a graphical interface to create hatch pats!!
    It has always bothered me that the arcane legacy of AutoCad drives this ( and other parts) of Revit when technology from the 70's-80's should merely be tolerated for compatability purposes.
    Bryan Sutton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast